Ban cyclists and e-scooter riders using phones

Thats fair enough, bikes used on the road already come under other highway laws, drink driving for example.

It's worth reading the PACTS recommendations. If these become law then E-scooter use will be quite restricted.

For example:
1. PACTS recommended max speed is fairly low (10-12.5mph), as is max power (250W). But from what I've seen online, it's not uncommon for some E-scooters to have 500W motors,
2. PACTS recommends to be regulated as motor vehicles.
3. PACTS recommends no drink/drug driving or mobile phone use.

Not that I'm complaining. Where I live isn't one of the trial cities for the public hire E-scooters, but the private ones I see being ridden are often under the control of absolute idiots.

We should be thankful that bicycles have been around so long. If the bicycle were invented tomorrow, I think we'd be slapped with huge numbers of regulations.

While I don't mind harmonisation of road laws for all road users (including pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists) - most of these ideas are covered by existing laws - and let's be honest, motorised vehicles have far more potential for causing harm than someone on a bike.

As for scooters, I think they should simply be regulated the same as ebikes ie you can do 15.5mph/250w motor but confined to road/cycle paths - and legalise throttle assist for ebikes to ensure parity. I'd be open to considering lower powered/speed ones for footpaths eg max 6mph.

I'd also bring some parity with the french sensible approach so we can drive these without a licence:

Last edited:
Some idiot with a big opinion about cyclists (who on average kill 1 person every 2 years, and once every 6 where the cylcist is legally to blame), while similar laws among motorists (who kill 8 people every day) go largely unenforced. She clearly has very strange ideas and priorities.

Lady McIntosh questioned why Rule 149 of the code, requiring motorists to "exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times" and banning use of a mobile phone while driving, did not apply to cyclists and other road users. The answer to that is easy - cyclists arent slaughtering innocent bystanders en mass, motorists are.

I'm actually not against the idea per se, but the silly unelected woman is asking questions with an easy and obvious answer. Sort the biggest killers first, then work your way down the list in order of numeric importance. You don't waste time and resources on a stubbed toe while ignoring cancer.

Last edited:
Some idiot with a big opinion about cyclists (who on average kill 1 person every 2 years, and once every 6 where the cylcist is legally to blame), while similar laws among motorists (who kill 8 people every day) go largely unenforced. She clearly has very strange ideas and priorities.

Lady McIntosh questioned why Rule 149 of the code, requiring motorists to "exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times" and banning use of a mobile phone while driving, did not apply to cyclists and other road users. The answer to that is easy - cyclists arent slaughtering innocent bystanders en mass, motorists are.

I'm actually not against the idea per se, but the silly unelected woman is asking questions with an easy and obvious answer. Sort the biggest killers first, then work your way down the list in order of numeric importance. You don't waste time and resources on a stubbed toe while ignoring cancer.
She's probably just found out about Cycling Mikey, and is indignant that a cyclist is catching motorists committing crimes.

Back