Anyone have any ideas on what followed me home this time?

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I went out last weekend to pick up a nice Columbus framed Ribble I'd bought via the internet and when I picked it up the guy I bought it from said do you want another? He said its free otherwise its going to the tip as its not in great nick. So not being one to turn down anything road bike related i said yes please and promptly loaded it in the back of the car with the Ribble.

Now I have it home I'm wondering what it is.

Its not as light as the Ribble as is nowhere as nicely a built frame but it is shod in 105 (1055 variety) and has some things I find odd.

At first I thought it was a 90's Giant or a Carrera but I can't find any that match it. To help a little the seat pin is a Shimano 600 that's 27.2mm with a Turbo saddle, bars and stem are ITM. I think it may have been white originally and had its decals removed as that blue is not original. The rear drops outs are quite distinctive and also the curved rear brake bridge, and the numbering on the bottom bracket makes me to think its quite mass produced

So some photo's to peruse below and if it sparks any memories all suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSCF4657.JPG
    DSCF4657.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCF4656.JPG
    DSCF4656.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 423
  • DSCF4655.JPG
    DSCF4655.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCF4654.JPG
    DSCF4654.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF4653.JPG
    DSCF4653.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 427
Re:

Unicrown fork and vertical dropouts also make me think 90s

The crude lugs and bb shell and the way the seatstay attaches to the seat lug make me think its mass produced rather than handbuilt.

So its possibly a generic far east frame that a local shop would sticker up with their own branding

I'm thinking Giant - I will look and see

*nope but very similar - I have seen that dropout before but cant think as to what it is.

Re: Re:

pigman":1uim8zg4 said:
Unicrown fork and vertical dropouts also make me think 90s

The crude lugs and bb shell and the way the seatstay attaches to the seat lug make me think its mass produced rather than handbuilt.

So its possibly a generic far east frame that a local shop would sticker up with their own branding
Yes I'm thinking mass produced but there are a couple of bits like the rear brake bridge and rear dropouts that I think are unusual enough to for someone to be able to identify it

legrandefromage":1uim8zg4 said:
I'm thinking Giant - I will look and see

*nope but very similar - I have seen that dropout before but cant think as to what it is.
Yes that was my first thought but the dropout isn't quite right and I would have thought that curved rear brake bridge would be quite distinctive

Knew I'd seen that dropout before

This is a Carerra, yes but Autostrada built and your frame should be at least 501 cromo

carerra_501_magnum_frame_925.jpg

Re:

My diamond back ascent mtb looks to have the same rear dropout. I too knew I'd seen it elsewhere. So, possibly the dropout is a generic one used by many makers

legrandefromage":2ihvi42n said:
Here you go then, a Diamond Back from the early 90's - it even has the curved bridge
By jove he's only gone and cracked it, thanks big cheese that's the blighter.

Re: Re:

pigman":3c94kdjw said:
My diamond back ascent mtb looks to have the same rear dropout. I too knew I'd seen it elsewhere. So, possibly the dropout is a generic one used by many makers

He did it <points and waves>!

Back