Anyone else building their own wheels during Lockdown?

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.

As title.....

Anyone else building their own wheels at home during Lockdown?

Having finished my builds and no projects waiting on the shelf, it's fair to say that although I've been taking the opportunity to ride more when I can, I'm getting a bit 'Twitchy' about having nothing in the pipeline.

I've built wheel sets before for the Kili flyer and Cannondale, but have started to look at some of my wheels with a view to taking them apart!

It started with a perfectly decent Shimano M732XT on NOS Campagnolo Atek (the old wheels from my Elite) - this now has been rebuilt onto a Bullseye hub.

.....then there's the matching rear wheel for this. Waiting for a wheelset to arrive for this, which I'm planning to take apart and rebuild those rims onto some other period correct hubs to complete another set for a build I don't even have yet!

..... Then there's the blue Hope Ti on Silver Atek.
I recently sorted a Kona out for a friend. This happened to be my old Muni Mula..... which was handed to me as a frame/fork/box of parts and 5 wheels! - one of these happened to be this hope wheel purchased from Merlin Cycles in 1994! I took this as payment for doing the build.

So, needing my 'wheel building fix' - Regan_ev kindly sold me the matching front. After sourcing a rim too and buying 'Halo' spokes from eBay .... So after 26yrs, this wheel finally has its partner.

Probably going to take apart a perfectly decent Shimano LX hub on an MA40 next, just so the Ridgeback has the correct hub!

Any one else doing their own? - or taking things apart that don't really need taking apart? :LOL: :facepalm:

Cheers all.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 144
Re:

.....and the Hope Ti.

Thanks again Regan_ev :cool:

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 138
Just got the same jig as your pic & some tools so going to be having a go. Normally time poor but with furlough & threat of redundancy got plenty time on my hands!

Yes, rebuilt lots of wheels this period.

Had many wheels which were built as and when and replaced parts as needed, so I actually had very few matching pairs of wheels.
I’ve been dismantling wheels to replace 217 rims with 217 ceramic rims.
Built some NOS nuke proof hubs into 217 rims.
Changing nipples to match the other wheel.
Doing major retruing for new to me wheels etc.
Used lots of nipples and new spokes. Looking at it, I have bought over 300 alloy nipples in this period, that is on top of the brass nipples which came with the spokes I bought from the LBS.
Still have two full wheels to build and a third in need of a nipple swap.
One of my wheels had been built with straight gauge 2.3mm spokes. It weighed a ton! Thanks to a useless bike shop in Farnham, I am still waiting on the new spokes to be posted to me.....about a month now and just ignoring my messages....frustrating! My LBS is out of dt competitions in the correct length.

By the time I’m finished I will have built / rebuilt about 14 wheels......unless I get some more........still need another two pairs to complete builds.

Back