Any wheel builders about - opinions on some wheel problems please?

Roasted

Kona Fan
I have a second hand pair of wheels that I think have been poorly built. I'd like your opinions please, what's my best option?

The back wheel has 1 very loose spoke, the issue is there no threads left on the spoke so can't tighten it. None of the spokes on either the front or back wheel have any visible threads so making any adjustments almost impossible.
20240623_205419.JPG

The front wheel isn't central in the fork, so don't think it's been dished correctly. Like the back there's no threads more threads on the spokes.
20240623_205210.JPG

If the nipple reaches the end of the spoke thread without being at the correct tension, then the spoke is too long (thanks @Tootyred for flagging my brain fog🙄)
if spoke thread is still showing when the wheel is true and at tension, then it's too short.

wheels can go out of dish in use, especially away from the higher tension side.

Spokes can loosen off with heavy use. A perfect wheel does this a lot less than a good one.
A maintained wheel does it less than a neglected one.

You probably need to take these to a professional and see what can be done. It's harder fixing badly built or very neglected wheels than just building from scratch.

Last edited:
You probably need to take these to a professional and see what can be done. It's harder fixing badly built or very neglected wheels than just building from scratch.
You really need a dishing tool to check for sure, could also be uneven int he dropouts or even just a unevenly seated tyre that causes the wheel to look off centre in the forks...

The spoke in the top photo looks like it has taken a whack it could be that the threads are damaged - it would need replacing

You can learn to build wheels yourself of course :) (which is very rewarding and quite a zen winter job!) but, if it is just for this one wheel, then your Local Bike Shop would be able to help... mine charges £45 plus parts to build wheels.

This is what I thought, my guess is that they were not built by a professional.

Getting wheels built is expensive, last set cost £200, so I'd love to learn how to do my own.

Its quite easy - you could just strip the front wheel and try rebuilding it from scratch with the existing components - assuming the spokes are the right length😉.

Professional labour tends to be around £50, but a wheels worth of quality spokes and nipples will cost you around £35.
Screenshot_20240624-094018_Firefox.jpg

You could take the wheel into an lbs, get them to check spoke length, and buy the new set off them (if they are wrong). grease, a professional Rixen or similar spoke key (don't use those rubbish consumer multi ones) and then do some reading!

Where abouts are you in the country? Maybe there's a retrobiker who might help for a pint and a chat!

I'm near Northampton/MK.

I did find a good spoke length calculator online so may check the spoke length when I get a few minutes.

I learnt from watching these Park Tools video on YouTube videos mainly... and a bit of trial and error. have built 9 wheel sets since.. each one progressively better/faster :D

Back