Any other Audaxers on here?

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I discovered Audaxing back in 2014 having been introduced to it by a fellow member of my local cycling club.
It's been a major part of the cycling I've done since then.

For those unfamiliar with Audax, it's basically a form of long distance riding, with 200km (124miles) being the 'standard' distance.
There are some 100km Audaxes which usually involve lots of climbing, and then 200km, 300km, 400km, 600km distances and beyond to aim for.

Just wondering if any else on the forum takes part in this sort of thing?

Yes, my first cycling events, I did plenty in my teens, back in the 80s, with the West Kent CTC.
Brilliant, hundreds organised all around the country and abroad...like sportives without (back then anyway:confused:) the over-competitive Strava tossers, or sky-high entry fees, but with better tea and cake at the checkpoints :)

West Kent ran their own series of 6 events annually, ranging from 600Km down to 25 mile 'rough stuff', we also rode events by Surrey and Essex occasionally, and did exchanges with northern French clubs.
Also occasional 'Tourist Reliability Trials' which had a slightly different more traditional Imperial/British format, such as 140miles in12 hours, 50 in 3 etc.
I worked my way up to a 250Km Grimpeur based in Penrith...like a 24 hour Fred Whitton Challenge.

All the best,

Yeah I've done a couple of 200's over the last year or so, would have done more if wasn't for the Pandemic. Quite liked them, friendly folk, relaxed vibe, scenic routes. Part of the reason was wanting to ride some form of longer organised ride without the silly entry fees of sportives these days.
I know there's a few other Macretro members who dabble in Audax too.

I rode and organized quite a few events from the mid 90's until about 2003/4 . All before the days of stat navs etc. Always found it all very rewarding , A great bunch of people .
Had a change of riding style and went touring . Did a few short 100k events in 2019 .

As things get back to normal I may do a few more ,nothing to long mind .

Did one on a Raleigh a bit before lockdown: Howardian hills north of York - absolutely pissed down half way through. A lot of fun and v. relaxed, will deffo do more. (Although it might as well be known as competitive eating with some cycling in between: sausage rolls in Malton recommended, but scones in Ampleforth took honours.)

I did a few 200km events back in the late 1990s. Recently I've done a few 100km rides, including one on my fixed wheel, but nothing longer (although I tend to cycle to the start of the event). I've been a bit slack over lockdown but am hoping to do some more events once I get a bit fitter. I like the self-sufficient nature of Audax, and the fact that you can choose to ride in a group and chat to people or (my preference) find a bit of space on the road and do the event on your own.

Back