Any idea what this Frame is?

arc

Retro Newbie
Hi. This is the bike I put together in my teenage years. Parts begged, stolen and borrowed. The bike was mostly built in 1985 and 1986, and then was used on and off for time trialling and 3rd Cat road racing for about 5 years. Unfortunately I then drifted into running more than cycling, and came back to the bike in the early 2000s to do some climbs in the Alps. I made some bad decisions then, like 'upgrading' the beautiful Mavic GL280s that I'd had on it for some Bontrager rubbish, and replacing a broken Record crank with something that barely dignifies the Campag name. I am now planning to restore it to a more authentic mid 80s spec. One thing bugs me though. I don't know what the frame is. It's 753, and insanely light. I don't know who the framebuilder was though. There was a little bit of a story from the guy I bought it from. It has the GOD decals on the frame, which apparently meant it was resprayed in Ilkestone. However, the frame is definitely not a Raleigh frame. So the story goes, this guy managed to persuade them to respray the frame for him, and they said they'd make an exception as they'd a respect for this particular frame builder. Somebody once told me it could be an Argos frame, but I've always felt it looked Italian. I'd be really grateful if someone out there can work out what it is. I do love this frame - the welding is stand-out when you look at it up close.

By the way, if anyone has those GL280s, I'd love to buy them back!

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 522
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 522
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Bike4.jpg
    Bike4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Bike5.jpg
    Bike5.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 522
Lovely looking little bike. Can't help much with the ID but I agree that it doesn't look like a Raleigh.

Clean looking machine, could be from any number of builders of the era. Over BB cable guides and top tube guides typical of early 80's . does the rear dropout have 2 small (portacatena) holes? It has a chain stay bridge so not Aende.

Unusual for 753 of that era to have shot in stays. Have you got a good shot of the fork crown? Is the bottom bracket shell 70mm across?

Shaun

Hi,

Thanks both for getting back to me. I've had a look at the drop out and taken photos of it and the fork heads. I've also measured the bottom bracket at 70mm across.

I did Google this 'portacatena', as I'd not heard of these before. I definitely don;t have one of these fitted, but there are two small holes in the drop out which may have allowed one to be fitted.

Hope you had a decent day on the bike in the sun. Let me know if you spot anything from the new photos I've attached.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Dropout2.aspx.jpg
    Dropout2.aspx.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Fork1.aspx.jpg
    Fork1.aspx.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Fork2.aspx.jpg
    Fork2.aspx.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Fork3.aspx.jpg
    Fork3.aspx.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 441
Hi. The 70mm bottom bracket width is not English but typically Italian. The rear dropouts with holes are portacatena compatible and they first appeared 1977 and petered out mid 80's as stock was used up. Fork crown looks like Cinelli MC design.

Can't help with who made it but all in all its a classy frame :)

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun. Appreciate the info. I might get the frame re sprayed. Even if they didn't in fact make the frame, I like the look of that Argos lot in Bristol. I'm also thinking of trying to get a correct epoch wheel set and crank. Original crank on it was ofmega sintesi - beautifully space age, and with matching pedals. Think I'll find campag record easier to source. Any advice on wheels? I had mavic gl280s when I was riding it, but I was thinking of trying to find some gp4s or ma2s as a little harder wearing. Or maybe ambrosio. Let me know if any of these would be out of keeping/ a bad choice. Thanks,
Gyles

Back