Another new project arrives - Team Saracen Special Edition

jimwise68

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I really should stop looking on FB Market place. Saw an absolute bargain locally, of a bike I'm not too familiar with. A Team Saracen Special Edition.
I remember Saracen back in the day but knew that they had had a similar fate to Muddy Fox. I did have a brand new Saracen Xile in 2002 but it was a catalogue special.

So some research on RB brochure archive and after finally finding it realised it wasnt a bad bike so off I went to pick it up.

It has had new tyres and saddle. The chainrings are oxidised but other than that it just needs a good clean and a some TLC.

Quick blast round the block and stem is too short and the crank definitely needs replacing. Pleasantly surprised at how nice the ride is though. I still cant see why people buy new POSs when for the same money they can get a quality retro bike???

Rifle through the spares bin sorted the stem issue out, I have some Alpha and OmegaBite tyres that were on it originally too.
So quickly put stem and tyres on to take a pic before the strip down and clean up begins. I'm impatient lol

Groupset on this is mainly STX RC (front and rear derailleur, hubs and shifters), with the V brakes and levers being Dia Compe.

Crank will be upgraded to a STX RC to match the rest of the drive train.

So far very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_9706.jpg
    IMG_9706.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Re:

Looks like a good find. I totally agree with you, the money that new bikes cost and 90% of the time they get riden on roads or bridleways which in my mind is mental. Over the past few weeks I’ve bought 4 bike ( I have issues) for the princely sum of £120. All of them just in need of some tlc. Suppose the positive thing about everyone’s need for the new “thing” is that the old stuff gets flogged cheap!

A once over clean last night and a daytime shot before the cranks and seat get replaced when I do a total strip down.

Attachments

• IMG_9642_2.jpg
    IMG_9642_2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
Re:

Love this, getting a bit partial to a bit of retro British before they went tits up to the Falcon empire at the end of the 90`s. so many good bikes on Facebook market place lost in brand snobbery and now worth peanuts ......please keep this thread updated regular ...
Ps here’s a pic of mtb what was red muddyfox aluminium pro from 97-98..not finished but getting there

Attachments

• C7EFF24E-2174-4197-821D-99003FA6648B.jpeg
    C7EFF24E-2174-4197-821D-99003FA6648B.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 137
Re: Re:

37tattoos":296780ni said:
Love this, getting a bit partial to a bit of retro British before they went tits up to the Falcon empire at the end of the 90`s. so many good bikes on Facebook market place lost in brand snobbery and now worth peanuts ......please keep this thread updated regular ...
Ps here’s a pic of mtb what was red muddyfox aluminium pro from 97-98..not finished but getting there

Nice, just saw your other post.

I had a bit of a Muddy Fox thing about 10 years ago. I eventually had the complete 1988 Range! lol
Very underrated bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 131

Freddyman90":hiuqedxo said:
Looks like a good find. I totally agree with you, the money that new bikes cost and 90% of the time they get riden on roads or bridleways which in my mind is mental. Over the past few weeks I’ve bought 4 bike ( I have issues) for the princely sum of £120. All of them just in need of some tlc. Suppose the positive thing about everyone’s need for the new “thing” is that the old stuff gets flogged cheap!

too many cheap bikes to not buy. I was thinning mine down and now I have more. :facepalm:

jimwise68":877iimbx said:
37tattoos":877iimbx said:

Nice, just saw your other post.

I had a bit of a Muddy Fox thing about 10 years ago. I eventually had the complete 1988 Range! lol
Very underrated bikes.

Brilliant!

Latest posts

Back