Alan Richards (Tower Cycles Birmingham) 1983 build (Finished, pg3)

sjcprojects":1d9rwyl9 said:
Once again, I spoke too soon, and to continue the theme of going back on my previous plans, I've found someone fairly local to chrome the forks for a decent price (£60 plus VAT) - so I'm going to do that after-all. I had originally aimed to have chrome forks, and obviously that will look a lot better with the frame.

Of course, they have a 3 month waiting list, so it's going to be well into the new year until this FINALLY becomes an actual bike instead of a collection of parts. But one day, one day...in 2021...

I am looking to have a pair of forks rechromed - where is the place you found?

Theoldfm":1tm3l0gt said:
sjcprojects":1tm3l0gt said:
Once again, I spoke too soon, and to continue the theme of going back on my previous plans, I've found someone fairly local to chrome the forks for a decent price (£60 plus VAT) - so I'm going to do that after-all. I had originally aimed to have chrome forks, and obviously that will look a lot better with the frame.

Of course, they have a 3 month waiting list, so it's going to be well into the new year until this FINALLY becomes an actual bike instead of a collection of parts. But one day, one day...in 2021...

I am looking to have a pair of forks rechromed - where is the place you found?

It's a place in Mexborough (near Rotherham) called Prestige Electro-Plating. They do loads of that sort of work, and seem to have a good reputation, but are a bit under the radar compared to some other places. As I said, there is a long waiting list, but that seems to be true for everywhere...

Prestige are well known locally for their bike work. They can replate the centres of Airlite hubs for instance - and they don't polish away the writing!

I was told that some of the team are mountain bikers sp appreciate the bike work.

Only 8 months later...well, I did say it would be some time in 2021 that I finally got back to this build.

Anyway, forks chromed and finally installed with a Stronglight A9 headset (which was pleasingly easy to install compared to others I've done in the past).

Gipiemme Crono Special chainset installed, with a modern BB and pedals, and I've re-greased the Gipiemme Sprint hubs.

I do need to get another front derailleur, as I have a Campagnolo Gran Sport I was going to use, but despite being the right size, I don't think I can install it without damaging the paint more than I'd like.

Most importantly, I used genuine vintage grease...;)

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 33
FINALLY FINISHED. I'll be taking it for a shake-down ride in The Peaks soon. All in it weighs 10.13kg, which is pretty much exactly what my current most regularly used steel bike weighs, though that has a smaller frame. It could easily go under 10kg with a few component changes, but I'm happy with it as it is for now. I'm glad I went for the chromed forks, even though it made this build a lot more expensive.

IMG_1901.JPG

Brake cables routed through the bars which have custom-drilled (not by me) holes. A bit fiddly to do, but some paper-clips came in handy...

IMG_1908.JPG

Even with a 20c tyre, there's still very little clearance for the rear brake.

IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG

Nice and shiny...

IMG_1907.JPG

Partial spec:

Frame: Columbus (unspecified, but light), Campagnolo dropouts.
Fork: Tange with Campagnolo dropouts.

Headset: Stronglight A9
Handlebar: Zeus (cut down and with drilled cable holes)

Brake Levers: Shimano Exage
Brake Calipers: Shimano BR-1050, 105

Shifters: Campagnolo
Front Derailleur: Suntour ARX
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Cyclone GT
Crankset: Gipiemme Crono Special (Drilled)

Rims: Mavic MA2
Hubs: Gipiemme Sprint

Saddle: Selle Bassano Vuelta

Last edited:
I missed the finished result on this one, great job, looking very smart. Your scenic rides are pretty enviable too. 😁👍
Thanks! Yeah, I'm lucky to have lots of great country roads more or less on my doorstep – some are pretty challenging, hence the low gearing on this bike (though in this particular case I didn't come up the side of the hill pictured, but going down it was interesting enough with non-modern brakes...).

Back