Advice on small frame for a child

Pionir

Retro Guru
Does anyone have experience of building up a small (49cm?) frame for a child around 140cm tall (10 yrs).

All the decent junior bikes seem to be £500-£700 which buys a decent vintage 531 frame, respray and components - I'm thinking rx100/claris and I have quite a few spares in the shed I can use.

Are there any smaller wheel options in old steel frames? I'm guessing 49cm frame is the smallest from what I've seen on ebay

Pionir":2la3qa4d said:
Does anyone have experience of building up a small (49cm?) frame for a child around 140cm tall (10 yrs).

Yes, built two tiny XS FATs with 26in wheels for my daughter, one has custom Manitou 2 forks which work perfectly for her weight. Beautiful bikes to ride and they hold their value come resale. They are much lighter than modern equivalents and better made. They also look like mini 29ers so they dont look antiquated especially with v brakes fitted.

All the decent junior bikes seem to be £500-£700 which buys a decent vintage 531 frame, respray and components - I'm thinking rx100/claris and I have quite a few spares in the shed I can use.

Are there any smaller wheel options in old steel frames? I'm guessing 49cm frame is the smallest from what I've seen on ebay

If you can find one, an Alpinestars T24 is a lovely kids rider and a great frame design imo. See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=325579

I’d recommend keeping to 26” wheels, as it makes finding spares easier and cheaper eg if you go on family rides and its easier to sell on too when they finally outgrow it.

Look forward to the build thread. Love kids bike threads.

Re:

I was hoping to skip a 24" wheel bike altogether and go to 26" or 700c drop bar bike but 700c would be easier.

He's currently on a 20" bike built from two bikes that were abandoned near me with completely rusted up chains, dead suspension and broken spokes. I saw the frame of the one with broken wheels was perfect and the wheels of the other one with a rusted up suspension frames were solid so I took all the good bits off both, treated them with evaporust, regreased everything and just bought a new chain and mudguards and this is the result. Not the lightest but son is happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180522_162045.jpg
    IMG_20180522_162045.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 225

Latest posts

Back