A 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper (or perhaps two)

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":w8cw2vt9 said:
The tyres really help to freshen up the look. They're 26 x 2.1, by the way.
Tires look ace, is there much clearance in between the stays & did you buy the tires in the UK?

CassidyAce":w8cw2vt9 said:
I'm going to think about the brakes for a bit and see what comes up for sale in the usual places. I have a set of Avid SD7s to fall back on if need be.
I've got these Tektro canties on my Rockhopper, they stop you on a tanner!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG2.PNG
    Capture.PNG2.PNG
    101.8 KB · Views: 264
Re:

The tyres came from Bikehit in Germany via their eBay shop - delivery didn't take too long: about ten days, which I thought was pretty good under current conditions. I went for a 19 mile spin on the bike today: decent grip on dusty farm track, nice profile for cornering and they roll well on the country lanes too. I was flying along. Clearance is fine, by the way. Pics below.

If I remember rightly (although I could be completely wrong!), that type of cantilever brake is meant to be more powerful than the low profile ones and they're used in CX quite a lot. Do you have a problem with heel strike though? I like the look of the TRP CX9s but they're mini v brakes for cyclocross and won't clear the tyres I've got. LX V brakes are still available new, though . . . Hmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_163511 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200508_163511 (1).jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20200508_163445.jpg
    IMG_20200508_163445.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
Love the close up pics....

If you go v brakes I’d stick with XT... heel strikes will occur!
Just my thoughts tho...

I’m so pleased to see it out and about. A few mid ride pics would be good.

Hopefully I’ll get my Sunn Xircuit out tomoz ...

Re:

Yes, I'm not a fan of cantilevers, especially when there's an alternative that is easier to set up and, if anything, more powerful. Is there a big difference between XT and LX V brakes?

Re:

Indigo Stumpy is done and, when there's an opportunity to get some good photos of it (in other words, when it's not covered in muck due to current riding conditions) I'll edit this post and put some up. Basically, it's set up for me to enjoy riding and enjoy riding it, I do. Changes made were:

Pedals (not sure what they were other than knackered): straight in the bin, replaced with DMR V12s.
Brakes: STX cantis replaced with NOS Avid 2.0 V brakes and new Avid 5 levers.
Grips: Specialized S-Works (but don't let the S-Works branding fool you; they were awful) replaced with some nice Ritchey ones.
Gripshift X-Rays: clear plastic crumbled in my hands as I removed them; replaced with NOS SRT-600 Gripshift (I like Gripshift; most folk don't).
Saddle: Specialized saddle replaced with Madison Flux. I prefer saddles that are not laterally convex and the Flux is both comfy and cheap.
Seatpost: Specialized replaced with (first) tatty USE, then a nearly mint USE.
Decals: new decals from Gil.

Hundreds of miles covered on it and it's a great bike for riding: comfortable, quick, and just what I was looking for. I'm very happy with it.

However, red Stumpy has not been forgotten. Powder coat and decals now applied.

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_221102.jpg
    IMG_20210102_221102.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20210102_221123.jpg
    IMG_20210102_221123.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20210102_221144.jpg
    IMG_20210102_221144.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 198
Absolutely lovely! I do enjoy watching and reading your updates on the use of the indigo stumpy I sold you. I wish I didn’t have ocd and could actually get out and ride some of my builds like you do... awesome...
Can’t wait for the red one to be built! Is it sane size as the indigo??

Re:

I've got a silver specialized stem and (I think) bars from a stumpjumper of that vintage that you can have for postage if you need them.

Re:

Thank you chaps. I guess I'm not very OCD about bikes although I admire the amazing building work done by some on here, and my efforts pale in comparison. I'm very precise and perfectionist about some things, but bikes aren't one of them: they're just for fun. So I can't claim to be sticking to original specifications but perhaps the original purpose.

Anyway, Red Stumpy (which is exactly the same size as indigo Stumpy) is probably going to be a slow build: no urgency as indigo Stumpy is doing just fine and other bikes are competing for my attention - converting my '96 Marin Stinson to a gravel bike in time for summer is probably next up.

slackboy":ptgg90e5 said:
I've got a silver specialized stem and (I think) bars from a stumpjumper of that vintage that you can have for postage if you need them.
Yes please. PM incoming.

Latest posts

Back