98-04 Kona Collection

W7Ford

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A little bit of background on this, I really like the 99/2000 Kona graphics, and I'm gradually building up a bit of a fleet of bikes which take me back to going into the local bike shop and looking at them without any money to buy in my teens. They are from the above time period, and always in their original paint, but generally with newer components. I'm admittedly a serial tinkerer, and my bikes are always being upgraded in some way, so more often than not in bits.

First up is my latest purchase, a Kikapu. I've recently bought a really nice Kula frame off here, and as a result I'm shuffling bits around on some of the others leaving me temporarily without a bike I can just jump on and ride. This '03 Kikapu came up for sale locally, and I've lately been appreciating the early 'splat' graphics a bit more, and as I'm approaching 40 and getting a bit fat, I thought an entry level full sus bike would give me something to get out on immediately, and if it's got a bit of weight to it, then it might burn off a bit more bacon.

I picked it up at lunch time, popped it in the back garden whilst I endured the days video calls and screen staring, and then took it out for few miles this evening. It definitely did my mental health some good to blow the cobwebs away for an hour or so. The bike seems OK, the brakes are pretty sharp, a few creaks from the bars and front mech needs twisting around a bit, but as a completely untouched bike straight out of someone's shed, it seemed fine. Spec wise, it's pretty standard, the tyres, grips and saddle have all been replaced by whatever cheap parts were to hand by the look of it.

My short term plan is to give it a very basic service and keep using it. In the longer term it's inevitable that I'll put some lighter bits on it, but hopefully I can resist that urge until something else is back together.

Kona-1.jpg

Kona-2.jpg

Last edited:
This one is one of my favourite bikes from the fleet, a '99 Manomano with my idea of decent parts fitted. The rear swing arm is being powdercoated at the moment, but should be back in the next couple of weeks.

Kona-3.jpg

Some nice bikes there, I'm partial to a Manomano too (I have the 1997 model).
White Tora's should suit the Mini Mula nicely.
Any plans for another Kona?

Some nice bikes there, I'm partial to a Manomano too (I have the 1997 model).
White Tora's should suit the Mini Mula nicely.
Any plans for another Kona?
Thanks! The '97 Manomano is the red one right? Great looking bikes.

I've got a few more Kona's to add to this thread once I've sorted out the pictures, there's a full list of what I've got in my sig. I'm looking forward to finishing the '00 Kula next, it's the first year where that model had a disc mount, so it'll be a more modern build again. The oldest is a '98 U-Hu in the bright green that they used on the lava dome that year.

This is the '00 Kula as it came, I've thoroughly cleaned and polished it since then and started to build back up:

Kona-6.jpg

Last edited:
This is my '99 Kula. The picture is quite old, so the spec has changed quite a bit since then. The wheels have been since replaced with XC717s built around XTR M950 hubs, and some other things have been swapped out. The SIDs are on the rebuild pile so a Marzocchi fork is on it at the moment.

Kona-7.jpg

kona-09.jpg

I picked up this one, small frame but couldnt resist it, always liked the gold paint scheme. This one will be built up as a lightweight cross country bike, but will get some city tyres on it for my partner to use. She's not very observant so most purchases tend to pass her by, but this one got a 'what have you been buying now' when it arrived in a bike box.

Back