97 Trek Y5O

2VT

Retro Newbie
Mountain Bike Miami. There are no mountains in Miami, you say? Try reading it as riding a mountain bike in Miami. See Youtube: Virginia Key Beach Park or Oleta Park or Markham Park or Amelia Earhart Park. Middle ring, middle gear and no bar ends, go like hell. I keep a Trek Y5O down there as I spend Christmas and New Years in Coconut Grove. The Y bike series used a "unified Tri-angle" rear suspension. A single pivot that causes the wheel base to shorten as it travels. A good idea but not a great idea. However this bike works well riding the type of terrain in and around Miami Mountain Bike Parks (see videos). The only time it actually travels at the rear is when your sitting down. If standing on the pedals, it's effectively rigid. Even the 2.25" travel of the AMP F4 works well because it's laterally rigid and can hit bumps at a rather high angle. Are there better bikes? Ya, but I'm not buying any more bikes (I have 13 already) Trek Y50 010120a.jpg IMG_20191230_101156.jpg Trek Y50 010120g.jpg Miami.jpg

Great photos of a beautiful location. Bike looks cool too.
I cant imagine the intense heat of Miami but here in the 51st were not doing too badly with 28-29 Celsius.
Keep up the riding!

Great photos of a beautiful location. Bike looks cool too.
I cant imagine the intense heat of Miami but here in the 51st were not doing too badly with 28-29 Celsius.
Keep up the riding!
It's fine in Miami at Christmas and New Years. Here in Los Angles we say "Ya but it's a dry heat." Can't say that in Miami.

Couple more shots

Attachments

• Trek Y50 010120f.jpg
    Trek Y50 010120f.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Trek Y50 010120h.jpg
    Trek Y50 010120h.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 6
The Y50 was always my dream bike back in the day. This one looks in good shape too. Im in Tampa, I get the heat and lack of mountains. We bike some pretty extreme old phosphate mines around here. Hit me up if you ever want to part with it.

Expensive back in the day.

Some poor guy crashed on our jumps near where the jumps at Sherwood Pines are now, many years before the trails were built, he had to be air lifted out as the track to the spot was a couple of miles long and off-road. I remember his wife standing on the lip of the take-off refusing to move until we all grew up, showed some respect and went home.

I also remember me and a friend poking the now snapped in two frame with our finger and going right through the carbon, shocking, and put me off carbon bikes for many years.

Back