'96 Marin Monocoque - Frame Corrosion

malfunktion

Retro Newbie
G'day all,
Hoping someone can give some advice on what best to do.

You can see my vintage Monocoque has suffered some aluminium corrosion, it's never been left outside in poor weather and so this has just happened over time, it was stored in a garage for a while and I think this may have been the cause, not that the garage was overly damp... It's not a daily rider anymore but I covered hundreds of miles on this back in it's day, now I keep it as a wall piece or when I feel like taking it and the e-bike battery is flat...

If I leave it and do nothing, what will happen?

Should I get this addressed? get it sanded down and polished or leave as it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6086.jpg
    IMG_6086.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6088.jpg
    IMG_6088.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9895.jpg
    IMG_9895.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 44
Looks like some water got under the clearcoat. this will happen to all bikes that just have a clearcoat (and why it's a bad idea to clearcoat a Cromo frame). I think the alu beneath is just fine, it's just an aesthetic issue. To fix, you'd have to sand the whole frame to remove the clearcoat. Then polish the frame and re-apply the clearcoat (preferably 2 component lacquer).

I've 97 mount vision that had the same all over it. main frame was easy enough to sand down through to 1500 then polish, but the swingarm is a nightmare as there's so much welding on it, think that's gonna go to the sandblasted to get finished as I've lost patience with it!

Thanks for the advice, will certainly consider the options, didn’t want to mess with the original decals but it does bug me that damp/moisture has gotten to it… 😞

I'd be interested to see the frame number of this if you can share it. I'm wondering which factory turned these out.

Latest posts

Back