'80s pedals with modern shoes?

Re:

When I bought my 1976 Vittorias a couple of years ago, they came with plastic old school type slotted cleats. If you walk on them at all, the plastic deforms,and the slot closes up, also gets full of sand and gravel, but other than that, they sort of work. I am using them with Velo Orange half clips now. My shoes are the two bolt road type with the slick sole, not the rubberized spd style. I also just got some Louis Garneau Nickel spd shoes with rubber sole and recessed cleat which work well with the half clips.

Re:

I have seen those old style shoe plates for sale with 3 bolt fastenings. Look for old Specialized shoes. Usually blue and black. They came with them.

Re:

Some hardcore retro there. BITD you actually road with wood soled shoes without cleat for a while just to mark the point where you would nail the cleat to the shoe - ie. line
up the worn groove to the slot in
in the cleat.

When plastic came along it wasn'nt so simple. I remember %ucking around with a pair of Duagies for
months because there is zero float.

Still admire Sean Kelly for being
one of the last with toe clips in the peloten.

Bicycle Shoe Cleats for Toeclip Pedals at Yellow Jersey
CLEAT86.JPG

Re:

I been using the Bontrager Classique shoes for a wile, they are as the name says a classic look, with laces, they have a carbon sole and are very stiff. For the clipless pedals with cage and strap I use this cleats. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... ack-cleats this cleats fits to the two rear holes in a normal three hole road shoe. It seems like the Bontrager Classique is not made anymore, but if you can get hold of one of those its an excellent shoe. Last summer I was gifted a pair of the Pantofola d'Oro Vuelta Pro Eroica shoes https://ciclicorsa.com/shop/pantofola-d ... ro-eroica/ I am now using this shoes with the Exustar cleats for vintage biking and the Bontrager with modern cleats for Look pedals on my modern bike. The soles of this shoes is made of leather with a plastic reinforcements for the bolt treads. They are not a stiff as the Bontrager, but maybe a little mor comfortable. For some of the narrower pedals the sole is a little the wide side. (I am a 45 EUR size)

If I may bring this back from the dead. I want some shoes to use with clips and straps (without cleats). I wear a 45 so finding some vintage ones on ebay is almost impossible. I don't really want classic looking leather shoes that some make. Too expensive and too hipster looking.

I know in the 70's- 80's cycling shoes that looked almost like tennis shoes were popular. Like the Adidas that Mercks wore. What do you guys think of track shoes with the spikes removed? They have a pretty low profile toe and a stiff cleat plate under the ball of the foot and they don't cost a ton of money.

Adidas Eddy Merckx

44675476_2149015588748311_8551721523939689366_n.jpg

adidas-sprintstar-cp9082-side.jpg

1091A018-001-left.jpg

Back