2004 Kona Coiler for my son

Roasted

Kona Fan
Needed to get a new bike for my son for his birthday. I don't like the idea of a halfords special and secondhand bike offer better value for money. Ideally I wanted a bike to match his sisters so was looking for a small Kona Kikapu, which I found in London but the seller decided to keep the bike.

Finally I found this small Kona Coiler listed for £150 but missing brakes, chain and grips. When I visited the seller I noticed that the seatpost was seized so walked away from it. Couple of weeks later he said he'd let me have if for £100, that made it worth a punt.

20231201_145337.JPG

My feeble attempts to remove the seatpost failed so dropped it off at the Seatpost Man (highly recommended) and he managed to get it out. The headset had lost one of the balls from the caged bearings and munched the lower seal, so that's been replaced with with an FSA Orbit MX, my go to headset.

Chain Reaction supplied 35mm Brand X stem, RaceFace bars, Nukeproof Grips, Sram Chain, cheapo pedals and Clarks Clout brakes.

All I have to do to complete is shorten the rear brake hose, get an adapter for the front brake, shorten the chain (why do I have so much trouble with chain tools), cut the bars down, shorten seatpost, swap the pedals over and get a new saddle.

I'll share more pics once finished and here's a pic of the kids Kona's together.

20231201_145446.JPG

Nice.
I have heard of seatpost removal man before but never from someone who has used his services. How much did he charge if you are happy to advise?
Cheers

The Seatpost Man charged £75 and was very efficient. Cycle Fast in Halifax charge £94 and uses a jig to pull the post out which looked both impressive and scary, I wouldn't want to try it on a delicate frame. I don't know what method the Seatpost Man uses but he suggests that it's rather gentle compared to pulling it out.

Now that the boy has gone back to school I can do some more on the bike.

I got an adapter for the front brake as I got post mount caliper instead of IS, brake now installed and works well. I got a chain tool for Christmas so could shorten the chain, this worked so much better than my old chain tool. The gears have been adjusted and it shifts well. I cut down a seatpost (yes, it's round the wrong way deliberately to shorten the reach) so the saddle can be slammed. Put on a Charge Spoon saddle that I had lying around as the original has holes in it, but I may change this later. Last thing was to add a bottle cage complete with a vintage MBUK water bottle.

The only things left to do is change the pedals over, shorten the rear brake hose and maybe cut down the bars.

I am a bit concerned that it's too big, the BB is 2" higher than the bike he's currently riding which may make it too high. Back up plan will be to put 24" wheels on it or build up either DMR Sidekick or Identiti 666. Other than that, I'm happy with how it's going.

20240112_145951.JPG

Finally given the boy his new bike and he really likes it.

Once he received it I could see what was needed to make the bike fit him. The reach was fine but the bars were way too wide. I'd acquired a set of 25.4 RaceFace XC Carbon bars in a bundle of stuff I'd bought for £30. These were quite narrow and would save cutting the nice bars that were on it. Just needed a spacer for so that the 25.4 bars will fit the 31.8 stem.

The bike was a bit high so put on a set of 24" wheels on it to lower it a bit.

Now it fits him really well and there's room to grow. The only thing I'd like is a lighter spring on the shock as it's a bit stiff for him.

20240420_162810.JPG 20240420_162819.JPG

I have actually been impressed with the Clarks Clout brakes. Quite powerful, reach adjustment and easy to shorten the hoses, which was good as I find bleeding brakes to be a bit of a faff.

Back