1x11 or stick with 1x10

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My latest addition the fleet is a 29er that was 2x10 but set up by previous owner as 1 x10.

Front is 32t with 11-36. Having ridden it, i was pkeasantly surprised that i can get up the hills on my local loop but i will be fitting 11-42 cassette to have a gear in reserve for them really steep hills.

I am not spinning out on flat roads (probably not trying hard enough) and on downhills i tend to coast rather than pedal furiously so am not too bothered with the low top gearing.

... so what will going to 11 speed cassette gain me? From what i can tell, at best i will get an additional 10t sprocket (i think this wilk fit on the freehub), or an extra gear if i stick with 11t. Having close ratio gears offroad isnt something i feel i need.

So it doesnt seem worth the money to get cassette, assuming freehub compatable, rear mech and shifter. (Already have 11 spd chain on its way which should work with 10 spd set up)

Re:

I wouldn't bother tbh. I now have 1x11 because it came on my new bike but was happy with 3x10 and didn't see the point of spending extra. Having now spent time with 1x11 I still feel the same. As long as you've got the get out 42 tooth there's no point spending the money.

Arrggghhhh I have bought a pair of wheels with an XD freehub - this is the new fangled freehub by SRAM that allows a 10T sprocket. :facepalm:

Is there an adapter that will allow the old style cassettes to be fitted? Otherwise either I must go 11 speed or fit a different freehub.

Re:

I've got an 11-40 10 speed Sunrace cassette on my Solaris and I've not run out of gears yet on the climbs round here. You do spin out faster on the flat/downhill though. I'm running a 34T up front, so a bigger ring would reduce that if I really felt the need.

The one thing I have noticed is there is a noticable jump in ratios in the middle of the cassette which means I find I'm looking for the 'missing' ratio between those I have on occasion.

That's the only reason I might consider a switch to 11 speed over the setup I have and then I'd stick with 11-40 or 11-42

Not sure when you'd need the new Sram comedy 11-50 cassettes though, but I guess it would mean you could run a bigger front ring to regain some top speed?

Re:

If you have bought the wheels just get the cheapest 11sp cassette Sram do. GX?

There's no point spending cash to go 11sp but if you end up with it by default it's a decent option if that makes sense? :? :D

Back