1996/7 US Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike champagne colour

McPixie

Retro Newbie
I've had the above bike since new (brought over from US). It's not had a hard life, is in good order apart from rust scarring, in general from stone chips and storage. A good solid bike, not ridden for probably 15 years now. Is it worth the effort to find a buyer or is this bike a bit run of the mill? Your site was recommended by an Ebike seller (I know but I'm old now).

1996 Hardrock Ultra by the sounds of it: the top of the Hardrock line at the time. I bought one a few months ago and actually travelled 180 miles to get it. However, that's pretty much where the good news ends. The Hardrock was a run of the mill bike, even the top model: nothing wrong with them but nothing rare or especially collectible about them either. I would be surprised if there was anyone else in their right mind who would make the trip I did for one. It was an idiosyncratic, whimsical purchase because I like 1996 bikes and have a soft spot for old Hardrocks. I paid £35 for mine and probably spent more on petrol, so about £70-£75 in total and I don't think I would spend more than that on one. Realistically, then, if it's in working order and not too rusty, advertising locally for £50-£60 should get it sold. It would make a good commuter/runaround for someone. If you have any photos, I would be interested to see them.

Back