1995 marin pine mountain

artfulflounder

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Purchased this last year to do my daily ride to work.
Given the current situation and being on furlough has given me the opportunity to do a proper clean up.

Just stripped down currently. Seems to be mainly original.

Component groupset: xt 737
Brakeset: marin lite brakes, dia compe pc11 levers.
Shifters: gripshift srt800 xray
Crankset: white industries
Pedals: tioga surefoot vi (not original)
Seatpost: marin lite 27.0 (original should be bontranger titec)
Handle bars: marin lite
Bar extensions: marin lite
Stem: marin lite (maybe try flex stem)
Headset: 1 1/8 marin lite
Hubs: shimano lx & white industries tracker front
Rims: mavic m230

Plan is to thorough clean and degrease, new consumables, spokes, grips etc

2ablEM3.jpg

ywy4k7s.jpg

Re:

sB22JwU.jpg

OVN4r8q.jpg

C3XLfbV.jpg

v7gFz4l.jpg

Waiting for some tools and chemicals to arrive so i can get cracking on.

Shout out to matt2014 for the marin seatpost, not a fan of the blue one that came with it, also a marin quick release post clamp.

Re:

Degreased and cleaned frame & forks, bit of wire wool on paint chips with kurust being applied.
Had a good going over with t-cut and some meguiars polish....need to try local motor factors to find something similar to marin champagne to touch up the worst bits.

zYtYS4p.jpg

FixUcqC.jpg

Thanks to tintin40 for posting link to 'oldshovel' on youtube, has done some great refurbs with excellent tips.

Having some issues stripping tracker hub down, going try un screwing allen grubs partially to remove axel the screw back in to remove cap....found service manual on retrobike but been unable to strip as yet.

Found new odi assault & yeti clear grips so will be using these.

Re:

Been looking for some new pads, my marin lites have ritchey logic pads at the moment but to be honest are well past their best.

Kool stop pads seem a good choice of replacement, found some info with regards to the compounds of the colours

http://www.koolstop.com/english/compounds.html

For all round use would dual compound red/black be a good choice?

Ordering some new canti pivot , chain ring, and m5 bolts for bottle cage too.
New un55 107mm bb ordered.

Re:

Any good suggestion for glue to stick down the mavic rim decals and lx hub decal?

Starting to peel round the edges.
Super glue, contact adhesive??

Re:

Purchased a work stand, never had one before, went for a pedalpro one £40ish.
Wasn't sure what to expect but it seems a solid piece of kit....pleasantly surprised.

New bb & headset bearings fitted.
Went for a flex stem as my regular ride is down a canal way and loop back through woods, constant bumps making wrists ache (old age), thought it might make it abit easier.

Spokes been removed and starting to service hubs, got the tracker front apart too, so that was a bonus.
Got some dt champion ss 15g spokes and some blue wheel fanatyk (i think) splined nipples.

jeXQVEL.jpg

Saw a thread with regards to canti pads so thought id order a couple of sets of the ritchey lp pads, black & blues sets.
Like the marin lite brakes, did the job well on my commute after I'd learnt the dark art of setting them up properly.
Saddle is a modern madison flux but its been a bloody comfy one so it'll prob stay. Tyres are gum wall halo twin rails 2.1.

DyRG2Dt.jpg

ArsGPgL.jpg

V0fD7t7.jpg

PFaKpRR.jpg

Ordered odi assault & odi pro line attack clear grips so can sort those out too.
Need a suitable bottle cage too,.
not sure on my tioga surefoot 6, maybe clips and straps, never had spd's but cant stretch to the shoes in present climate.

Anyway keep safe guys

Back