‘96 Kona Kilauea (was ‘95 “Kilueua”)

What chainrings are you using?
The chainring is a 34T Stridsland chainring, one of the only narrow wide options for 94bcd. Matias is based in Denmark, and is a cool guy. They're on the expensive side but I managed to find mine second hand!

The forks should be good! I didn't ride them pre-service, which in hindsight would have been a good idea. I've only heard good things about them, the BAM is the lightest of the Z2 series I believe. It's also got 30mm less travel (and costs a lot less) than the Z1. I was concerned about altering the handling of the bike too much, so the 80mm travel should suit me nicely.

Me and my friend Ollie really struggled getting the seals out of the forks, looks like "7 years in the loft" (according to previous deceitful owner) hadn't done the rubber any favours. Heating the lowers in boiling water did the trick alongside a couple of hours of prying with a long screwdriver. Internals on one side seemed fine, but the other was very dirty! A bit of wear on the stanchion might be the culprit, but looking to remedy that with some nail polish.

IMG_6111.jpeg

Left side/right side

IMG_6121.jpeg IMG_6120.jpeg

New seals from @kraeMit should be coming in the next few days, then it's a case of fitting and riding. Will update on progress!

Those old Marz forks are cool. At the time I didn't know anything about mtb forks (and still don't) but had tuned a couple of vintage motorcycle suspensions; funny thing is, the Marz forks are basically little teeny motorcycle forks. Made sense to me! I figured the key would be to get the right spring rate for my weight, which was always the issue with motorcycles. Wasn't that long ago you could find springs for these things, dunno if they are still available or not. I never got to ride em after rebuilding them, so I'm eager to see how yours turn out
I have about 25 each Z1 & Z2 and have analysed the springs a little, because I'm in reproduction. From that parts I have I know the springs are different, some are stronger.
If you measure yours we might find a set which is more suitable for you.

Also for the Z1 I have collected all spring kits to be able to meassure.
I already made a test production of the Z1 100mm springs (check picture) and I think in Q1/2023 I will be able to do harder 100mm and some 130mm also which in the end means you might be simply cut a harder Z1 spring to get a harder Z2 spring. 🙏

Attachments

• 8a93924b1f627c83a51b5c10f0eed568_20220809.jpg
    8a93924b1f627c83a51b5c10f0eed568_20220809.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1
Fitted the seals from @kraeMit (great quality, great service) on Friday, and got the forks properly fitted and set up today. I think they look, ace! They feel fairly soft, I'm 75kg and can bottom them out easily, although with 80mm of travel I imagine this is normal. Anyone had experience adjusting preload and rebound on these forks? I've wound the adjusters all the way, both ways, and not really noticed much change. Red and blue ano seem to be in a good balance on the bike now.

These pics aren't great as the light balance was off in the yard, I'll get some better photos another time!

IMG_6231.jpeg IMG_6230.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 8
Fitted the seals from @kraeMit (great quality, great service) on Friday, and got the forks properly fitted and set up today. I think they look, ace! They feel fairly soft, I'm 75kg and can bottom them out easily, although with 80mm of travel I imagine this is normal. Anyone had experience adjusting preload and rebound on these forks? I've wound the adjusters all the way, both ways, and not really noticed much change. Red and blue ano seem to be in a good balance on the bike now.

These pics aren't great as the light balance was off in the yard, I'll get some better photos another time!

Standard Springs are somehow 'soft'.

Updated photos in better lighting. Look at those anos clashing! Zip ties on top tube are to hold the full cable outer to the rear. I have some adhesive cable guides I could use instead but they hold the cable a bit loosely. So I’ll look for an alternative to tidy it up a little.

Attachments

• 766D9DF0-387B-4752-811A-5114E2A08CF8.jpeg
    766D9DF0-387B-4752-811A-5114E2A08CF8.jpeg
    819.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 72F48515-66D9-4624-A664-1BE8760BDDE5.jpeg
    72F48515-66D9-4624-A664-1BE8760BDDE5.jpeg
    908.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 5F11E515-E52C-4C70-951C-686E17962896.jpeg
    5F11E515-E52C-4C70-951C-686E17962896.jpeg
    873.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 08F229B1-965A-46BC-9A22-A009668B39D4.jpeg
    08F229B1-965A-46BC-9A22-A009668B39D4.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 8EA9D3DB-79E7-469A-B0D1-E2BF57A4536A.jpeg
    8EA9D3DB-79E7-469A-B0D1-E2BF57A4536A.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 36
Looking great 👍 have you ridden it yet and if so how are you finding the forks, apart from being a bit soft? I have just got some that look identical to yours, im hoping to strip them down and service them in a couple of weeks As im only a few kilos heavier than you, I did wonder wether trying to source some stiffer springs was worthwhile....

Looking great 👍 have you ridden it yet and if so how are you finding the forks, apart from being a bit soft? I have just got some that look identical to yours, im hoping to strip them down and service them in a couple of weeks As im only a few kilos heavier than you, I did wonder wether trying to source some stiffer springs was worthwhile....
Hey, apologies for the late reply. Just seen your Cinder Cone thread and remembered your comment here! I've ridden it around the streets, down some steps, but not on anything too rough yet. I read somewhere that I'd misunderstood the adjustment on them, and they seem to have stiffened up a good amount after changing.

This is my first mountain bike, and my first set of sus forks, so I don't have a lot to go off. I'm probably not the best person to ask for a review! I'd say stick with the stock springs and see how you like them first. I can recommend Dr. Zocchi if you need any spares for the service!

Hey, apologies for the late reply. Just seen your Cinder Cone thread and remembered your comment here! I've ridden it around the streets, down some steps, but not on anything too rough yet. I read somewhere that I'd misunderstood the adjustment on them, and they seem to have stiffened up a good amount after changing.

This is my first mountain bike, and my first set of sus forks, so I don't have a lot to go off. I'm probably not the best person to ask for a review! I'd say stick with the stock springs and see how you like them first. I can recommend Dr. Zocchi if you need any spares for the service!
Cheers, I’ll give them a try as standard. They’re a bit like kona’s, I started off with one pair now I have two but I do have two bikes in my defence lol

I’m considering sizing down, to a 17/18” frame, as a 5’9 guy with a long torso and short legs, I think the 19” is a little big for me.

I love the long seatpost and stem look that these bikes should have, and this current set up just isn’t ticking those boxes for me.

Does anyone have a 17/18” Kilauea, Explosif or other from the same era they’d like to move on? And would anyone be interested in a fairly nicely repainted 19” once the time comes?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back