1995 GT Timberline — a bunch of questions

mikael

Dirt Disciple
Dang, I should probably have created a thread for my Timberline questions instead of starting one about the Alivio cranks. :facepalm: So, here it is...

From what I've gathered, the bike should use a 1 1/8" threaded headset which means the BBB BHP-21 should work fine if I want to convert to threadless. Correct?

I want a new stem and handlebar to use with the BHP-21 quill adapter. The BHP-21 product page says 28.6 - 25.4 mm. I suppose 28.6mm (1-1/8") refers to the part of the BHP-21 that goes into the head tube. 25.4mm (1") would then be the diameter of the part that where the threadless stem should mount? However, there seems to be no threadless stems with a 25.4 clamp on the steerer side (not the handlebar clamp/side). What am I missing? Shouldn't the BHP-21 be 28.6mm on "both ends"?

Thanks!

Re:

Don't worry, all questions are good questions on here!

The Timberline will definitely have a 1 1/8" head tube, so the bbb adaptor will work fine. That said all this is is a quill adaptor for a threadless stem. If you want/need to do the whole threadless thing you will need a fork with threadless steerer, along with stem and threadless headset. If the existing threaded setup is okay it probably isn't worth the cost to convert.

25.4mm is the internal width of the fork steerer with a 1 1/8" setup and therefore is the diameter of the quill part on the adaptor. The actual ahead stem clamp will need to be 28.6mm, as mentioned.

Hope this all makes sense late at night :xmas-wink:

Re:

Thank you for taking your time!
mynchiboy":3ghve758 said:
Hope this all makes sense late at night :xmas-wink:
Most of what you said did make sense! Except for this:
mynchiboy":3ghve758 said:
this is is a quill adaptor for a threadless stem. If you want/need to do the whole threadless thing you will need a fork with threadless steerer
The BHP-21 product page says "Threaded and threadless headset compatible". Are you saying that doesn't help if the actual steerer isn't threadless (whatever that would mean) and I need a different fork for this quill adapter to work? I was hoping buying the BHP-21 would make things as easy as this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlp-_do2mM[/youtube]
I guess not? I see a lot of people with threadless stems on their 90s GTs (with stock forks). How do they go about? The reason I want to do this is that I want a shorter stem (and in best scenario not have it slammed). Thanks again!

If I would skip the whole quill adapter + threadless stem idea, would this quill stem work "out of the box" with my bike?

It says "Quill Outer Diameter: 25.4mm" but is listed as as 1 1/8" Quill Threaded.

Re:

My bad, I thought that the BBB part was a stem quill adaptor, when in fact it is a fork steerer extender. This explains why you can potentially use it for ahead or quill stems..

Do you have an image of the front end of the bike? This may help see what you have set up so far :)

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":1klnll9o said:
Do you have an image of the front end of the bike? This may help see what you have set up so far :)
It's being stored at a friends place in a distant town. I've not even seen it AFK, so this is as close to a picture of the front end as I can get:

Attachments

• gttl.jpg
    gttl.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 540

Latest posts

Back