1994 Klein Adroit

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
If you've ever wondered how Kleins ride or wanted a Klein mountain bike to ride, then this is pretty much as good as it gets. This is a 1994 Klein Adroit, often described as an MC2 or second generation Adroit. These are some of the best riding Klein mountain bikes ever made and one of the rarest. Because of issues Klein corporation ran into with the introduction of the MC2 models (custom tubing, redesign of seat binder mechanism) the Adroit and Attitude were delayed and only released in early April of 94. That combined with a tubing change where the Adroit and Attitude became effectively the same frame starting in December of 95 made this true MC2 Adroit, featuring the massive and distinct 2" down tube one of the more limited production Klein bikes of all time. There were only approximately 250 - 300 of these bikes were ever made making them highly sought after these days. This particular Adroit is also a somewhat rare 21" or large size, which was first introduced in 1994 and is really ideal for someone around 6' tall. The color is called Painted Desert and it's still as vibant as the day it was painted. While this particular bike doesn't have the rare and desirable Strata rigid fork the Rock Shox Mag-21 SL Ti fork complements the frame quite well, and actually enhances the bike's capability off road. I actually have the identical bike with a Strata and riding these back to back made me think twice about selling this one. It really does ride quite nicely. In the long run I would probably rebuild the Mag fork, but it holds pressure and works well.

The build is a very traditional M900 XTR with a Syncros post, Matrix rims, Flite saddle, Klein grips (ends are open) and modern Onza Canis 26"x2.25" tires. I don't have a spare set of original Deathgrip tires I could put on this bike, but really like the Onzas and use them on many of my vintage riders. The drivetrain works perfectly, the brake pads have plenty of life left in them. I replaced the internal cable liners but felt the bearings were in good shape and left the originals in place.

The frame is in pretty good shape. There is a fair amount of little nicks and scratches which isn't uncommon for a bike of this age. The only drawback in my opinion are a handful of small dings and chips on the seat tube. Two or three of these are actual dings and not just paint chips. All of this could be fixed if the bike was repainted, but given it's in good shape overall I think it's best to let it be and actually ride it. Aside from the chips and scratches which I tried to capture thoroughly there are no dents, cracks or any significant damage.

Size 21" large, S/N 21x0794028 (28th MC2 Adroit)
Top tube : 23.7"
Seat tube : 19.0"
MC2 : 135, 5-10 degree rise, 580mm uncut

As it stands the bike needs nothing to get it out on the trail and in my opinion should perform well for years to come.

Price : $3200 including shipping

BY9A7377.jpg

BY9A7378.jpg

BY9A7379.jpg

BY9A7380.jpg

BY9A7381.jpg

BY9A7383.jpg

BY9A7384.jpg

BY9A7386.jpg

BY9A7387.jpg

BY9A7388.jpg

BY9A7389.jpg