1993 Kona Lava Dome

jeddere

Dirt Disciple
Just picked up a 20" '93 Lava Dome. Drivetrain was just about rideable so took it out for a quick spin and it fits great which is good. Planning to use this mainly as a summer bike to get into shape for cyclocross season.

Wheel bearings feel pretty rough so might have to rebuild the wheels, the rims have enough life to go again.
V-brakes (Vuelta Miranda) are functional but so lightly built that the arms bend allowing the brake lever to be pulled right up to the bar!
Sugino cranks are in good condition so will stay.

I'd like to keep the paint but there is a fair bit of rust and scratches. Might rub it down and clear coat but not sure how well it will apply over parts like the fork where the decals have been scratched and and are raised/peeling.

Considering setting it up single speed as the drivetrain needs replacing anyway.

P1200511.JPG

Yes, I wasn't going to look at it then realised it had the triple butted forks. It is all stripped down now and will investigate the wheel bearings.

Not my favourite job but very satisfying to have a bike worth of parts degreased.
Hubs were not too bad so think I'll just rebuild with new balls and use them. They were full of tar like thick sticky black grease.
Headset is just about re-useable although lower seal is perishing.
Not sure I want to buy a full set of chainrings so might end up 1x7 or SS.
P1200512.JPG
P1200513.JPG
P1200515.JPG

Having touched up the paint over the winter I've been riding this single speed for a few months with the original bars and stem but never really enjoyed the steering. Have now put on wider bars and slightly shorter stem and works much better for me. Has gone from 'maybe I should put slicks on it and sell it' to 'lets go find some singletrack!'. Absolute blast to ride.

IMG_20230706_154008.jpg

Back