1992 Klein Attitude Adopted but...

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
She's in kind of rough shape. I knew that going into the deal this will be a long-game project. No worries.

I picked up this 1992 Klein Attitude from a nice older man who said its been sitting for years next to a window in his shed. This is evident by the stickers that were on the top tube and handlebars that were removed at some point, revealing the amount of fade on the paint.

The front fork needs to be serviced. The paint needs to go down to the bare metal but there are no dents or gouges. At one point the man changed the cranks to the currently photographed Shimano Unobtainium cranks shown here, such that his younger sister could ride the bike around without getting her dress caught between the chain and the chain rings. What a nice bro! The original cranks are MIA. The original Dia Comp 987' cantis are there. Most of the original XT stuff is there, but the mechs are in bad shape with scratches and the front cage is pretty rusty. Seat post is visually destroyed. All of the internal cable routing is there. Ends of the bars are a bit out of round from over clamping climbing bar ends.

I have at my disposal everything laying around to do either a period correct XT or XTR build. I have most of the parts to do the 'Ultra Light' build aside from the hubs, Suntour XC Pro pedals and a few tiny (and affordable) parts here and there and Klein 2.1 tires.

There is a company located in Germany called ETOE Designs (https://www.etoe.de/1/galerie/hersteller/klein/), but they claim they require about 70 - 120 hours to do a paint job, ie. strip the original paint, clean the frame and paint/apply decals. I have a modest, yet knowledgeable experience in automotive painting cars for the Good Guys (custom street rod restoration starting around $150,000) and simply do not agree at all with a minimum 70 hour quote for painting a frame and fork. They don't have any published prices either...

If worst comes to worst I will repaint the bike myself, but don't mind outsourcing this to someone if the price is fair. Do any of you know of a painter located in Germany or Switzerland?

Secondly, if this is me, myself and I, do any of you have paint codes for Horizon Linear Fade?

Thirdly, to do a catalog correct 'Ultra Light' build, I am looking for 1991/1992 Hi-e front and rear hubs with skewers!

Mahalo!

Awesome! I just need to find myself a Klein to fit them to! 🤔

I'm sure these cranks were OEM equipment on Klein's back in 1992? Or was it 1993? ;)

Amazing how bikes of such worth/provenance are found in such random place...

Love this find @bchicks if it had a Klein rigid fork it would be one step up for me but also really love the matching RS currently fitted. I imagine the RS steerer is unique to the Klein headset requirements?

I'm on the verge of painting my 1990 Pinnacle as we speak but is a single colour. I'd lean toward the best deal you can find professionally for your respray unless you feel confident you could pull it off, not an easy task I think.

I'd be leaning toward XTR M900 for this one given the 1992 year

in 1992? Or was it 1993? ;)
1993, but the cranks and pedals were only available to team riders. There's an obscure picture of Tinker Juarez in a Czechoslovakian issue of Mountain Bike Magazine, circa 1994...but I can't find the issue at the moment. When the country dissolved, a lot of historical record was lost as well.

Love this find @bchicks if it had a Klein rigid fork it would be one step up for me but also really love the matching RS currently fitted. I imagine the RS steerer is unique to the Klein headset requirements?

I'm on the verge of painting my 1990 Pinnacle as we speak but is a single colour. I'd lean toward the best deal you can find professionally for your respray unless you feel confident you could pull it off, not an easy task I think.

I'd be leaning toward XTR M900 for this one given the 1992 year
Mhm, the steerer is unique to Klein but several makers of the same year +/- a few years also had proprietary steerer tubes. Klein goes one step further with the removal tool for the front fork and stem/handlebar IIRC.

If I were to respray myself, which I'm not too worried about, I would have to wait until spring. So, in the mean time I'll put out there to the either that I am in search of a competent 2nd party who doesn't pull clientele over the table.

XTR M900 is nice, but I am also a sucker for self-inflicted punishment and headaches, as well as going over budget.

Where is your build thread for your 1990 Pinnacle?

Why would you paint the bike? It´s either original or it´s not. Leave the patina, save cash, keep it original and it´s a much, way cooler bike than a repaint. Throw crankset and shifters in a garbage bin today and then check the mag 21. Rebuild those forks. Throw in a period drivetrain + wheelset and ride it all the time. It´s old. It should look old. No one repaints vintage guitars: the more abused it looks thr better.

Back