1992/93 Specialized Hard Rock Seatpost size?

dwdw

Retro Newbie
I just purchased a 1992 or 1993 Specialized Hard Rock Ultra frame. I need to get a seatpost, but am not sure of the size. I scoured the internet as best I could and have 2 possible diameters, 26.0 and 26.2. Since this will be difficult to get I would rather get the right one the first time. Does anyone have one of these that could verify the correct post?

IMG_5644.JPG

For what it's worth, my 1994 Hardrock takes 26.0. If you don't get a definitive response, you could try getting a 26.0 and, if it's too small, use a Coke can shim to make up the difference. Not the most elegant solution, but it's better than getting a seatpost that's too large.

Thanks for the response. I am hoping to avoid a shim as it is intended for my daughter. I heard an interesting perspective from a guy on instagram who owns several 90's specialized. He told me that the bikes may have had different tubes and therefore different diameter seatposts within the same models as they were built with whatever tubes they had. That might explain why I have found both seatpost diameters reported to be the one that fits.

I have wondered the same about the different tubes on the same models. But it's only wondering. I would be interested to know what yours turns out to be.

I don't know what would be more economical, purchasing a set of calipers, or a superfluous seatpost.

*So many ways to punctuate that sentence!

I measured my 93or4 Hardrock FS post, then I measured again. 26.35mm on my digital caliper.
Was it the post that you measured? Was the post stamped with a diameter? It sounds like yours could be a 26.4.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and try to find some to see what fits.

Was it the post that you measured? Was the post stamped with a diameter? It sounds like yours could be a 26.4.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and try to find some to see what fits.
It was the post, unmarked. The unusual measurement is what made me double check. It has been with the bike since at least 1995, but as I bought the bike used and modified, I can't say if it is original. It has always been a tight fit, as evidenced by zig zag scoring all down the length of the post from twisting it in and out. This thread is making me think that it might be .15mm too large.

I finally got the seatpost sorted. I initially ordered a 26.0. When it arrived it was way too small so I asked the shop to measure the seat tube. The shop couldn't find their measuring device so after trying all the posts we could find and using the caliper we decided to order a 26.4 and try that since finding a 26.2 was going to be challenging. Yesterday it arrived and worked. Thanks for the input.

IMG_5693.JPG

Back