1990 Roberts Stratos E-Stay

Beautiful clean build. And the Mavic parts look fantastic. I like the bold Yellow. Glad you’ve done it, to how you want it.

Re:

Thanks. I’m am over the moon with it now! I liked it as it was but it didn’t look as special, the details seemed lost in the black and the decals irked me, and they were under a clear coat.

I like the look of the black spokes on this bike, in general I prefer stainless. My minor gripe is that I don’t recall black spokes being available in 1990 but maybe I’m wrong?

Retro Spud":3aciwueo said:
well nice now - :cool:

That first paint job was dire ! and the build was awful

Aaah, the pangs of glimpsing a former love! I remember clearly being on a bus out of central London to pick it up from the owner and transporting it in a black cab back to Soho, where Lid, formerly of this parish, stored it in his office so I could go and buy records from Sister Ray/Phonica...

I thought the original paint was excellent and, as is shown by the build notes, as specified by the original owner. A somehow period Roberts-style colourway that picked out the radical (for those days) lines of the elevated stays. A complete contrast to the splatters of the incoming Nishiki and ski-wear graphics of Alpinestars. So very British!

The 'build' I presented showed why I sold it in the end - it was always a tad too small. Also, I have 'skills' the in awful builds department. However those v brakes came in very handy on a memorable sunset lap of MM being chased down by Chris on his Klein.

Love the full Mavic build. Will get this done to something one day - probz to a PACE though.

Back