1983 Specialized Stumpjumper! All original, museum condition

fadetoblack6902

Dirt Disciple
I am finally finished with my 83' Stumpjumper! I plan to put this on ebay within a few days, but I thought I would give first looks to you guys. I would much rather sell it without ebay. I will ship. $1000 or best offer.

In 1982, Specialized released the Stumpjumper, the very first ever production mountain bike (the only other mountain bikes at the time were very small numbers of Joe breeze and a few by Tom Ritchey/Gary Fisher/Charlie Kelly. This is the second production year of that famous early Stumpjumper. The Smithsonian even has a 1982 Stumpjumper on display

The bike is COMPLETELY original, down to the chain, grips, straddle cables, and tires. With the exception of the brake pads (original spec, but not original to this bike) all parts actually came on THIS bike. It does have brand new shift and brake cables. I purchased this bike from the original owner, who bought it from Wasatch Touring in Salt Lake City. I have verified with Wasatch Touring that these parts were spec'd on their early Stumpjumpers. The serial number has been verified as a 1983 model by First Flight Bikes.

Seat tube measures 23 inch (c-c), top tube measures 23 inches (c-c). It will fit someone roughly 6 foot 1 to 6ft 6.

Condition is outstanding. It was NOT restored, this is the original paint and decals. Paint is glossy and close to perfect. There are a few very minor paint chips and scratches (ALL shown in pictures). Decals are like new. The non-drive side "Stumpjumper" decal on the downtube is slightly wearing near the "S" end. Absolutely NO rust, dents, bends, or cracks. Components are in excellent condition. Even the original "Stumpjumper" tires look like they've barely been ridden. All nuts and bolts are shiny and in great condition.

All nuts and bolts have been regreased with Phil Wood grease. Bottom bracket has been overhauled with Phil grease, and the original bearings/cups/races are in great shape with no pitting. Headset and hubs feel super smooth.

Componentry includes:
-Suntour Mountech rear derailleur: Excellent condition, one light scratch across face plate

-Suntour "Alpine Gear Tech" (mountech) front derailleur: like new, just some light wear on inner cage plate

-Sugino AT crankset (46/36/26): Great condition. Chainrings show very little wear. ALL original chainring bolts. Some light scratches on arms. Original dust caps

-Shimano XT M700 cantilever brakes: Great condition. Original pads with very little wear. Some minor surface imperfections

-Shimano XT M700 5 finger brake levers: Very good condition. Some scratches, see pics

-Suntour thumb shifters: Excellent condition, some minor surface imperfections

-Suntour XC II pedals: Great condition. Bearings are smooth as butter. Chrome surfaces look great. Some scratching on cages

-Wheels: Specialized hubs, Araya rims (26x1.75): Great condition. Bearings are smooth, rims run true. Slight brake surface wear.

-IRD seatpost (26.0mm) Great condition, some minor marks from insertion on post

-Ritchey Bullmoose handlebars/stem: like new condition

-Specialized headset: like new condition

-Specialized QR seat post binder: Like new condition

-Avocet Touring 1 saddle: Great condition. Some minor finish wear/scuffing on the corners

-Specialized Stumpjumper tires (26x2.125). Tread shows almost no wear, still has the nibs on the edge knobs. Sidewalls are slightly dry, but far from crumbling. Definitely still rideable and safe. These tires are VERY rare and worth a bundle on their own.

-Original foam grips and bar plugs: Very good condition. Left grip has 2 small red marks, some minor wear on ends.

-Suntour "Perfect" 5 speed freewheel (14-30). Excellent condition, very little wear

Here is a link to more pictures:
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb78 ... umpjumper/

Attachments

• IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,742
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,739
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,742
  • IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,743
no offers allowed my man- put a price on this or they will lock the thread.

Nice machine BTW, massive but nice.

Back