1962/3 Falcon San Remo - help please

Re:

Yeah it was always easier to get hold of Weinmann hoods- I think even Halfords had 'em..

Tbh I can't see anything there that is not sixties- Universal centre pulls certainly are. I think Cinelli started producing 1As and alloy bars in 1963. I'd guess British roadmen would have used 'em if they could've got 'em?

Just sayin'...

Re:

Yes; both 1960's.

So I'll give everything a good clean, sort out some proper sprints and fix the paint.

Easy!

Nice find. I got some Universal hoods from e-bay a few years ago, I think they came from Italy. Going by the St Budeaux CC transfer on the top tube it was obvioulsy used by a clubman so had some 'serious' use BITD. At that time, if you were a 'serious' cyclist, it was unusual to buy a 'complete' bike with a factory spec. Or if you did, to keep it that way. My race bikes in the 60's were a real mishmash of manufacturers components, generally bought only when needed and priced according to the amount of spare cash available at the time!

Re:

So can you recall the year when alloy Cinelli cockpits first reached the UK, Old Ned?
I concede it is likely to have been later than 1963..

Re: Re:

torqueless":3l3nnv1p said:
So can you recall the year when alloy Cinelli cockpits first reached the UK, Old Ned?
I concede it is likely to have been later than 1963..
I can recall - but not necessarily remember - the date! I was using Ambrosio and Pivo alloy stems most of the time, in the earlier 60's at any rate. Probably was later than '63 when I first remember Cinelli alloy. Is there any clue in the Holdsworth 'Aids' books?

Old Ned":bhpcrtwr said:
Nice find. I got some Universal hoods from e-bay a few years ago, I think they came from Italy. Going by the St Budeaux CC transfer on the top tube it was obvioulsy used by a clubman so had some 'serious' use BITD. At that time, if you were a 'serious' cyclist, it was unusual to buy a 'complete' bike with a factory spec. Or if you did, to keep it that way. My race bikes in the 60's were a real mishmash of manufacturers components, generally bought only when needed and priced according to the amount of spare cash available at the time!

That system carried on into the 70's with kit being handed down club members second hand, buying what you could afford or what you liked the look of irrespective of brand :)

I think in the 60's it was cheaper to buy a frame and build it up as it avoided some sort of purchase tax?

Re:

The St Budeaux decal and the initials are the guy I bought it from. He bought the bike second hand and changed the bars and stem in the very early 70's. He doesn't recall changing the fork.

Re: Thats just like mine

Hi, I know this reply to your original post is now a year late, but please go easy on me as I only just saw it. A couple of years ago I renovated my Dad’s old 1962 Falcon San remo and have loads of photos on my Flickr page of what it looked like before and after. I did a full back to metal rebuild and got the forks rechromed and frame repainted. I took photo of the old decals (Which were originally hand painted) and used those to reproduce new ones. I would really like to see any photos of how you are getting on with the rebuild. My Dad bought his bike in the 1960s in N. Ireland from someone who had won it. It came with Mafac Top 63 brakes, full Campagnolo gran sport groupset and a Unicantor saddle.

This is my Flicker:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluestonestu/albums

Re:

Hi
Your dads bike looks great!
Mine is still hanging on the wall at the moment, I've got all of the parts now but I'm still saving up for the chrome and paint. I keep getting sidetracked by other projects however I'm off on a charity ride through the Alps in a years time so I'll probably get it ready for that.

Back