1930s, 40s, 50s etc franken bike

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
I collected parts for 4 years to build this. A lot if scrounging.

Original paint stripped. I welded on clips for a battery tube. Welded on new seat post clamp as the original was snapped off. Frame was considered a loss by the previous owner because of the missing seat tube clamp. I got it very cheap. IMG_4113.jpeg
2k epoxy primer and 2k base coat.
IMG_4115.jpeg IMG_4116.jpeg
Donor bike. I used the peaked mudguards with curved stays and the matching art deco Chain guard. I used a hammer and dolly to remove the mudguard dents. IMG_4117.jpeg IMG_4118.jpeg
Front springer fork from a 1950s bike. Disassembled for cleaning and painting. IMG_4122.jpeg IMG_4129.jpeg
One inch drive from red donor bike. I laced the wheels up using a beautiful set of obsolete, free, donated, chrome, drop center rims. The rim profile is tapered so rim brakes won’t work. IMG_4114.jpeg IMG_4121.jpeg

Last edited:
I collected parts for 4 years to build this. A lot if scrounging.

Original paint stripped. I welded on clips for a battery tube. Welded on new seat post clamp as the original was snapped off. Frame was considered a loss by the previous owner because of the missing seat tube clamp. I got it very cheap.View attachment 779443
2k epoxy primer and 2k base coat.
View attachment 779444View attachment 779445
Donor bike. I used the peaked mudguards with curved stays and the matching art deco Chain guard. I used a hammer and dolly to remove the mudguard dents.View attachment 779455View attachment 779456
Front springer fork from a 1950s bike. Disassembled for cleaning and painting.View attachment 779457View attachment 779458
One inch drive from red donor bike. I laced the wheels up using a beautiful set of obsolete, free, donated, chrome, drop center rims. The rim profile is tapered so rim brakes won’t work. View attachment 779464View attachment 779465
An old woods dump supplied the springs for a homemade seat. IMG_4123.jpeg IMG_4124.jpeg IMG_4119.jpeg
Top coat. Vinyl for pattern placed on base coat and top coat applied. IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4126.jpeg IMG_4127.jpeg
My truck cab used as a heat drying source. IMG_4128.jpeg

It’s got reproduction 1940s tear drop pedals. The headlight is some kind of a vintage industrial spotlight I got at a Habitat for Humanity builder supply thrift store. The battery tube is from a 1940s brass hand held torch. The bulb holder and reflector are missing. I used cloth covered wires. There is an old brass lock with a long U clasp on the handlebars. Just like I had for security as a youngster. Very grunty gearing considering it weighs around 15 kilos.

Back