1922 +/- BSA Indian Motorcycle Co. Road Race Bike

This is a circa 1922 +/- BSA Indian Motorcycle Co. Road/Race bicycle I recently acquired. Indian has a long history of producing bicycles, and offering wheels built exclusively for the company. Road racers were offered off and on throughout the company's history. This is an all original "as found" example. What is unknown is if Indian had this model completely built by BSA and then sent over the pond or if just the components/lugs were shipped and they were built in the United States. If anyone has information it would be appreciated. There are three known from these early 1902's group of racers. Two of the three have all surfaced in the Providence, Rhode Island area and were thought to be made for the Indian Racing Club of Providence. All three are within 5 serial number digits; two have sequential serial numbers.
The build:
Lugs: BSA
Chain Ring: BSA
Cranks: BSA
Pedals: Torrington Star
Toe Clips: Standard Star
Tires: Vitalic Path Racers (these tires are extremely rare; I have seen them in the period literature but this is the first set I have seen on a bicycle).
Hubs: unknown
Wood rims: Unknown
Grips: sure grip
Saddle: Troxel racer

IMG_0928.jpg IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0924.jpg IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0923.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, looks amazingly original and cool story to go with it. Are you 100% sure it's as early as 1922? Only reason I ask is it looks remarkably standardised in places for a bike that early. I'm thinking things like the bottom bracket, headset, cranks, chain etc. A lot of those things hadn't been finalised as early as 1922. Also, I think one of your cotter pins might be in upside down as your cranks aren't in line.

Wow, looks amazingly original and cool story to go with it. Are you 100% sure it's as early as 1922? Only reason I ask is it looks remarkably standardised in places for a bike that early. I'm thinking things like the bottom bracket, headset, cranks, chain etc. A lot of those things hadn't been finalised as early as 1922. Also, I think one of your cotter pins might be in upside down as your cranks aren't in line.
Yes, 1922 or possibly a year to two earlier. Indian changed their corporate name to "Indian Motocycle Co" in 1923; everything gets badged differently starting in 1923. This (and the others known) have the 1922 and earlier badge with the corporate name "Hendee Mfr. CO."

Back