17” Bontrager OR / Race frame SOLD!!

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Guessing at an age I’d say either 1991 or 1992. The Bontrager serial numbers are meaningless at the best of times but this doesn’t even have one. Back then they were trying all sorts of different configurations before settling down. This has the sleeved seat stays, gussets and chain suck mount of later models but has the front mech pulley mount and horizontal dropouts of earlier ones.

I can get hold of a box for this but would prefer collection from near Reading or perhaps we could meet somewhere convenient. I travel a lot for work and could put it in the boot.

£80 collected or I can find out about postage. I think this reflects the repairs that may be necessary.

I need to admit I will probably never get round to building this into something rideable. I’ve had two more kids in the time it’s been hanging in the shed. Trouble is I have an almost identical frame as my favourite ride already. No reason to replace that one as it’s so sweet.

Here’s the original advert from mynchiboy back in 2015.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=321986
He was very honest about a small crack spreading from the split in the top of the seat tube and a crack showing in the powdercoat at the top of the yoke. As he says he never saw these get any worse with riding. Having never built this up I can’t comment but in my opinion the seat tube one could be stopped using a reamer or a small weld repair. The yoke one could be checked by removing the powdercoat around it and seeing if the weld needs a small repair. Both minor jobs for a framebuilder.

Apart from that this is a wonderful frame. Horizontal dropouts means this would suit a really lightweight singlespeed build (as my other Race is run currently).

SOLD and on its way to the Netherlands tomorrow!

48947960507_23c86ace64_c.jpg

48947960462_0c7afce532_c.jpg

48947220698_b2d6cc8490_c.jpg

48947960427_d4e2b9da29_c.jpg

48947766816_4e9fe828d5_c.jpg

48947766781_be501672de_c.jpg

48947220638_218076d4ca_c.jpg

48947960382_233afe5c40_c.jpg

Re: Re:

Hi there. I will find out for you. Might not be able to get a quote until Saturday though.

Cheers, T..

vincenth":14mk017l said:
I'm seriously interested in the frame, How much would postage be to the Netherlands?

Re:

Blimey, good to see my old frame again! Where have those 4 years gone :facepalm:

I can fully vouch for how great these are to ride. I only sold this as I fancied a large one, which I fortunately now have (also running SS at present). I'm still thinking that the wishbone area might be okay with a bit of luck.

GLWTS - hope the above deal comes off :D

Re:

Hi Joe, hope you’re well!

This frame is a prime example of my hoarding unfortunately. It has hung immediately above an almost identical bike for years now. It needs to be used! It will make someone very happy indeed!

Cheers, T..

Re:

PM sent...
Could you give the geometry? (Seat tube and Top tube length) ?

Re: 17” Bontrager OR / Race frame

Could you give the geometry? (Seat tube and Top tube length) ?
Here's the full geometry if he has a few of the dimensions to get the frame size:

Racelite and Race geometry were the same, just tube specs that were different.

All the best,

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-25 135134.jpg
    Annotation 2019-10-25 135134.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 422
Re:

The seat tube measurement on the specs is centre to centre, so it looks like yours is probably the 15" medium on the spec sheet, which is around 17" centre to top.

All the best,

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":17ncb73c said:
GLWTS - hope the above deal comes off :D

So do I, my previous attempt to build a bontrager failed after I sandblasted the frame and found out it was full of holes behind the bottom bracket. This one looks much more promising.

Back