11 speed silver chainrings for Campag?

jackosbournesnr

Senior Retro Guru
I'm building a classic frame (which happens to be blue) in retromodern form and whilst it would look great with a silver alloy chainset, I have a silver/carbon 11 speed Chorus "group" spare.

Carbon levers
Silver brakes
Silver rear mech with carbon faceplate
Carbon compact chainset with black chainrings (5 bolt)

The frame has a chrome rear end and forks and alongside the carbon cranks, the black chainrings just look wrong, BUT I'm thinking silver chainrings would bind it all together quite well. I've done quite a bit of searching, but I'm not winning the battle.

Any ideas on who does Campag 5 bolt 11 speed silver chainrings in 110 bcd?

Alternatively, are there any serious issues with using 10 speed chainrings in an otherwise 11 speed setup?

There was an 11s Athena chainset in all silver, rings for that would be an option. Don't think you'd have major issues using 10s rings either though

10 speed rings will work fine, you should be able to find some campag ones, or look at TA and stronglight

foz":7ltbojym said:
10 speed rings will work fine, you should be able to find some campag ones, or look at TA and stronglight

Cheers both

I'm using it the other way round on another bike ie 11 speed chainrings in a 10 speed setup, but in my travels across the internet have noted a few naysayers to the concept of using 10 speed rings in an otherwise 11 speed setup.

The guys at Velotech always put a very eloquent case together regards compatibility and they were the ones that introduced the doubt to my mind in this instance. However, having used Campag for many many, years I have always found there's much more compatability than they're willing to admit to.

If I can't find any new Athena ones I'll swap in some 10 speed rings from a dormant bike or put some 10 speed TA rings on (me no likey the Stronglight ones for Campag)

The 5th bolt on Campag chainset has been behind the crankarm for a while, so thats not my big concern... BUT having done more research since opening this topic it looks like there may be issues mixing pre/post 2012 (genuine) Campagnolo 11 speed rings/chainset but I haven't seen much on it.

I'm lucky (I hope) in that it's a 2010 Record CT chainset I have so hopefully the earlier "EPS" Athena chainrings will work... I've got one on the way from eBay so I guess I'll find out soon.

I looked at Nerius rings but couldn't find any firm evidence that they would work on my particular chainset, hence my original question. Anybody got any experience with them on 1st gen 11 speed?

As far as I understand generic 110mm PCD is different from Campag - there is something odd about the concealed hole (further out or something).

Latest posts

Back