“Cyclists are bad for the economy and the planet”

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
The bicycle is the slow death of the planet.

General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.

Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).

On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."

Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.

P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

Cycling or McDonald's? Easy choice for me, I can,t stand the place, but, if you cycle regularly and are generally fit, you can do both. Everything in moderation.
My weakness is biscuits, the more I ride, the more bourbons I need, the bourbons I eat, the more I need to ride, it's a vicious circle.

OK....bit of fact checking...the text initially looks potentially ironic. Then some fact checking:

Now sometimes the factchecking sites themselves need fact checking...(how weird is the world getting?)....but in this case the elusive Sanjay T seems never to have been on the board of Exim Bank (which does exist).

But....

The sentiment is right in discussing what the apparently fake quote covers. Banks have in interest in economic activity independently of the ethical and environmental issues. As the oil lobby in the ‘States has said ... ‘...wilderness? That’s for drilling....’. The way we have arranged global economic activity pushes irrelevant, unhealthy, damaging products as much as it gives us important and valuable things. It takes deliberate action to steer away from the former and towards the latter. Who really needs stripes in toothpaste? Or a Porsche Panamera? Adam Smith and Ricardo were only partially right about market dynamics. Consumers will not necessarily choose the best, the most ecological, the most socially responsible. Witness the housing market in UK - we need far more housing, and we need ecological housing of the highest standards. Yet there are 250,000 approved sites undeveloped (owners waiting to maximise profits) and the housing that goes up simply meets minimum standards in most cases (to maximise return). Financial opportunity is an unethical magnet for many.

I worry that much of the stuff I need (need?) for my bikes (notice the plural...and that’s not good for the planet) comes from Taiwan, China, Indonesia, and requires mineral extraction - sometimes in countries with dubious human rights records and certainly no minimum wage. Not as much as my car, but not strictly ecologically responsible. Iron ore, bauxite, oil, and high energy requirement for transformation. And problems with disposal - old fork and brake oil, tyres...

I am not an eco-warrior, but I do try to have my eyes open....

Cycling to McDonald’s?
Bikes aren’t allowed in the drive through so what’s the point? 😬😜

Cycling or McDonald's? Easy choice for me, I can,t stand the place, but, if you cycle regularly and are generally fit, you can do both. Everything in moderation.
My weakness is biscuits, the more I ride, the more bourbons I need, the bourbons I eat, the more I need to ride, it's a vicious circle.
I see nothing vicious about that circle, seems like a pretty good way to live your life to me.

Biscuits and cycling, what more can a person need?

Biscuits and cycling, what more can a person need?

Cake.
Beer.

That covers all the major food groups.👍🏻

Wherever that original quote is from clearly doesn't know modern cyclists, who seemingly spend a fortune on the latest "this" and the newest sized "that ", if everyone cycled then the economy would skyrocket!
As opposed to retro cyclists who buy nothing new, and instead trade clapped out old stuff between each other for increasing sums of "virtual " money.

Agreed re the cost of modern bikes. And I do like the re-use element of the retro community.

But I need the geometry of ‘the new’. Last week - new Cotic frame, secondhand Lyriks. Two complete retro bikes out. Frame and forks in. It does indeed cost a fortune.

Thing is...I ride my retro-facing 26ers for pootling about. But for the kinds of things which the Grom and I throw ourselves down, modern geometry is pretty much essential. Not all our bikes are 2020-21...one of my favourite rides (supplied used from here) is a 2016 Ragley mmmmBop - low long and very slack (indeed so low I needed to put 165 cranks on it to avoid ground strikes).

The bicycle is the slow death of the planet.

General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.

Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).

On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."

Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.

P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

Brilliant, thank you, brought a smile to my face :)

Like others i do both, though carrying drinks and food while leaving the drive through on your bike is a limiting factor :)

Back