Zinn Z-Centaur

Kind words from all.

Thankyou.

Feel quite sheepish though as this is the first bike I have bought and done absolutely nothing to prior to posting.

All it needed was a couple of hours cleaning and fettling...

Gonna source a new alu Centaur post for it as the steel one has begun rusting slightly - never good in a steel frame!

Maybe a new bar but not sure yet as that might just be changing for changing sake.

Then just a case of new pads and cables I think. The drivetrain has a thick coating of cacky grease but is barely worn.

There are very minor signs of bubbling on the stem so I think I'll get that stripped and resprayed, but the decals on it are fantastic and not sure if reproductions might take something from it. Might just rub-down and touch up the affected areas.

Other than that and a more thorough clean it's as good as could be wanted.

Zinn in the states is a completely different guy. This one was made in the Midlands (UK) and I think Isla Rowntree used to have had something to do with them prior to setting up the early Isla bikes with her bloke.

The details between this bike and her beautiful early race bike (the one with powder-coated Mavic parts and upside down thumbies are extremely close. Either that or both frame builders came from the road side of frame building. I'll scan in a picture of her bike and you can judge yourselves.

Many thanks again to Carsten.

Absolutely gorgeous- thank God its too small for me or I would be really really pulling my hair out for missing it- type in Zinn every time I'm on the bay! My favourite GB bikes- hands down
How much does it weigh about??

It's actually pretty heavy you know, despite the small size.

With my highly accurate 'lift it in my arms a couple of times and shake it' weighing method I'd suggest around 27.5 - 28lbs...

Lots of that is the Campag - I remember those components - it was overbuilt and weighed a ton. The 'long' Centaur brake levers were enormous. Beautiful though.

What a beauty. :cool:

That's a fantastic find and looks in stunning condition considering. I'd try touching in the rust on the stem, seems a shame to respray if you don't have to.

Beautiful..... ;)

thanks for the pics, really sweet! i would only clean her and change what's needed to make her fit the new owner/rider. and please remove the front reflector ;)

cheers, carsten

Oh and if your other half doesn't like it or you ever decide to sell please let me know. (seriously).

That is the only bike I have seen that I would consider selling my very modest Clockwork for. (And I have been sentimentally attached to that since '91).

Please, please don't repaint any of it or change a thing though whatever happens - originality is everything and to re-do the stem would spoil and de-value it! IMHO.

;)

Carsten":3mwg5fmr said:
thanks for the pics, really sweet! i would only clean her and change what's needed to make her fit the new owner/rider. and please remove the front reflector ;)

cheers, carsten

Carsten.

There was one on the back too.

First thing that came off.

The front one however has a rounded socket so I'll have to drill it out...

Don't worry I had no intention of keeping it...!

Back