Zaskar prototype

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
I was just doing some digging into the world of the Zaskar, I'm still thinking about trying to buy a frame, when I came across this pinkbike article from a while back.
I have to agree with the opening statement:
"Some bikes just have a place in history. If you were there and riding at the time, chances are you either had one or you wanted one. "
" 2 great bikes here though, early prototype and 1991 Hans Rey bike.

The early one I remember the most, and probably the first I saw, was Dave Wonderly's (spelling). Seem to remember it was labelled Rainbow Bicycles but pretty sure it was a Zaskar underneath. Think there was a picture where he snapped the head tube off one ?.

The early one I remember the most, and probably the first I saw, was Dave Wonderly's (spelling). Seem to remember it was labelled Rainbow Bicycles but pretty sure it was a Zaskar underneath. Think there was a picture where he snapped the head tube off one ?.
The article does mention the fact that most early prototypes didn't survive.

Yep I think you spelt his name right. Might be Dave Wonderley who originally rode for the Laguna Rads and also GT. I thought he looked super cool with his long hair and moustache, although I was a BIG heavy metal fan and I was jealous of his locks as I couldn't grow my hair long due to it going crazy wavy as soon as it hit a certain length so abondoned any hopes of having "metaler" hair! 🤣. I've now got no hair, which suits me just fine! 🤣

There's a video of him somewhere on YouTube as he came over for the indoor event in the NEC where he got his arse kicked by Gould & Baker, but I also think they had to do some trials as well as part of the event (might have been final round of National Champs) and I think Tim Davies won overall as many riders crashed trying to ride over a car and he had a background of motorbike trials, or enduro's...

Dave Wonderley's Zaskar prototype from memory broke just riding the MTB BMX track thing. I also loved the GT jersey from that era, would so love to have one!

A couple of prototypes turned up on RB over the years but they are deep in the old bits and will take a bit of research
I thought I'd have a quick look on YouTube for the footage of the indoor race at the NEC which had interviews from David Baker and Tim Gould. Included footage of Dave Wonderly struggling to keep up and also him with his busted Zaskar (but not quite officially a Zaskar...). Could I find it, could I heck! Might have another look when I find some time and add it to this ramblings...

I thought I'd have a quick look on YouTube for the footage of the indoor race at the NEC which had interviews from David Baker and Tim Gould. Included footage of Dave Wonderly struggling to keep up and also him with his busted Zaskar (but not quite officially a Zaskar...). Could I find it, could I heck! Might have another look when I find some time and add it to this ramblings...
I couldn’t find it either 😂

Back