YETI woes ... how big is that bike !!!!?......

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, I always liked my C16Rs and P7s. In 2018 I bought the car I had wanted for ages - a 4X4 Skoda Yeti - I did all the right research, and the Oranges fitted brilliantly, rear wheel on, front wheel off. All rear seats out...clickety click, heave with the seats ... a simple lift of bikes, and the huge box like void could take five...yes five...Oranges. Brilliant.

And then bikes started to grow. And grow.

The Stanton Switch9er will go in nicely, thanks to the compact rear triangle. But the two FS Transitions are just a tiny bit too long. A tiny bit too long is not OK... ‘a miss is as big as a mile’. And now the BfEMax has the same growth spurt issues...looong chainstays which push the rear wheel into the back of the seats.

Yes, we have the brilliant Thule bike racks for the roof, but they are not very carbon-frame friendly and of course the bikes sit in 70mph wetness when it’s raining....grrrrr

(Footnote - with most of the world on fire, flooded or in the grip of pandemic I recognise that this is a minor irritation and observation rather than anything of real substance....but an irritation nontheless...I like my Yeti...)

Last edited:
Time for a van Tim?

Definitely a First World problem ... and what I’d really like to do is get an electric vehicle, but the needs of the minority called mountain-bikers is not top priority for the car manufacturers. Possibly the new Amazon van???

Maybe I need to travel by train more...after the worst of the pandemic is over.

In line with your thoughts I might just lapse to a petrol pickup or VW T series Syncro....
The Grom gets his provisional licence next year and he is hankering after a VW Caddy Max.

Last edited:
Back