XTR M950 / M952 Cranks, chainline, BB and chainrings

thanks! any thoughts on my question related to the bolts on the m952 crank? are there any “modern” replacement parts?

Re:

Not sure if this helps with chain ring bolt conundrum, but pretty sure I've used what I thought were standard tec anno bolts on my m952 set up. Didn't even think about it so maybe I got lucky but they just worked. Also used middleburn chain ring bolts in the past without an issue.

There are some very thin brass washers that fit between the outer ring/spider and middle ring.

As someone else mentioned, there were some ac cranks that used the v1 xtr bb/spline, and the spider works with m95x cranks.

I've got a couple of other spiders aside from the mentioned middleburn and 5 arm Shimano options. One is a 110 bcd hershey racing, the other a 94 bcd one which may be middleburn, I'm Not 100% sure.

When I had a Klein, I recall finding there was a German company that did a press fit bb with v1 spline, but it was very very expensive.

Re:

What a brilliant thread! So much useful information! Thank you.

I have a question after recently taking a M950 crankset apart to clean and inspect.

The drive side retaining bolt had a plastic washer Just below the top cap, the other side did not - am I missing one and is it important if I am?

Also the drive side had two metal washers between the crank arm and the retaining bolt, again the other side did not - same question as above!

Pics here...

Any help appreciated!

The plastic washer is there to allow the bolt to turn without undoing the lockring, retainer, extractor at the same time, there should be one metal washer between the crank bolt & the arm.

Back