Xmas stocking filler- Hub coffee tampers Hope, Campy, Nuke etc

Except for the rip off pricing
Take old bust hub for a fiver, add round disc of metal, add 65 quid and flog it to the nearest mug.

They should be about 30 quid, and they're not even company specced.

But you need one at your coffee station so everybody knows "you ride".
Post rapha ride coffees for the chaps and all that.

Except for the rip off pricing
Take old bust hub for a fiver, add round disc of metal, add 65 quid and flog it to the nearest mug.

They should be about 30 quid, and they're not even company specced.
Hello,

This is me, and whilst I appreciate your opinion, they are a little more than that - have you seen the cost of stainless steel bar? They are all machined down shells to fit both the stainless bottom and the top cap, the stainless bottom is machined, chamfered and polished too, this isn't 5 minutes work, and the 'proper' engineer that makes them is used to the tolerances and standards that keep planes in the sky so isn't skimping on expertise. Yes, I could sell them for less, that would also mean that there would be no point though, I am not making a lot of money doing this and genuinely try to keep my prices as low as I can.

But you need one at your coffee station so everybody knows "you ride".
Post rapha ride coffees for the chaps and all that.

Yeah, sort of, coffee and cycling go hand in hand historically, maybe they are a bit Hipster, and cynical and too expensive, but I tried to offer something interesting for the people who like both vintage bikes and coffee, maybe its not a good fit here 🤷‍♂️

Remember that a lot of folks on here are able to make something similar for themselves (my coffee tamp is made from 10mm aluminum plate turned to fit the basket of my machine, tapped with an m8x1.25 and a hand turned beech handle with a brass insert, again turned and knurled by me), we aren't your target market.

I hope you make some beans out of it and I wish you all the best, but as I said above, I ain't your target market. 🙂 let's be honest here, your target market at that price is the person with a coffee station rather than a coffee machine and quite possibly a person who can afford to wear rapha kit.

Got to say though, if you are speccing them to the tolerance of aviation you are wasting your money, there's no such thing as over engineered, there is such thing as over specced.

Hello,

This is me, and whilst I appreciate your opinion, they are a little more than that - have you seen the cost of stainless steel bar? They are all machined down shells to fit both the stainless bottom and the top cap, the stainless bottom is machined, chamfered and polished too, this isn't 5 minutes work, and the 'proper' engineer that makes them is used to the tolerances and standards that keep planes in the sky so isn't skimping on expertise. Yes, I could sell them for less, that would also mean that there would be no point though, I am not making a lot of money doing this and genuinely try to keep my prices as low as I can.

Yeah, sort of, coffee and cycling go hand in hand historically, maybe they are a bit Hipster, and cynical and too expensive, but I tried to offer something interesting for the people who like both vintage bikes and coffee, maybe its not a good fit here 🤷‍♂️
No offence, and apologies if you find those words a bit strong. I suppose they are.
And tbh its the cost of things today has me baffled.

My Ebike costs the same as a 3 phase 1000kg industrially rated engineering mill designed to be used daily for decades.. Personally I cannot understand why some things are as expensive as they are when you compare one against the other. I think i just was getting a little hot under the collar etc. No offence intended really.

Hiya Rod, I like your work and ideas here … when you think of some of the crazy retro bike prices for working parts , I like that your repurposing old hub parts - am not much of a coffee drinker so regretabbly not a product for me - but if I recall correctly Chris King made some parts like this as did Hope Technology briefly…all very cool. Good luck with the creations and production.

Caveat this with: would I buy one? No, I wouldn't as I don't drink coffee so barely know what it's for and I'm a cheapskate.

I do think the pricing is just fine. These are one off pieces of art, produced with some love and care by hand for the luxury end of the market which has shown itself to not be terribly price sensitive in the last few years. Aesthetically, most of the tampers are pleasing to the eye, functional and no doubt are a talking point for the customer and their friends/family. If they sell, they are clearly priced right.

Pricing rarely has anything to do with how much something costs to make. Get yourself to Tesco, and look at the things costing £1.99 - it is very doubtful that once everyone involved in putting that product on the shelf took their cut that the price came to exactly £1.99. In some cases, someone will be making a loss, in others a very high margin. What the customer will pay also plays a part.

Even in our space, why is a Klein worth dozens of time more than a Raleigh Activator? The Activator has more moving parts, arguably more functionality and weighs more so it should cost more right? Again, we all know why.

On the milling machine/ebike comparison - it's literally comparing apples and oranges. One allows old blokes to recapture their misspent youth, the other is an ebike. 🤣

Last edited:
Obviously the people here don't watch the Craft and Recycle/Upcycle programs or looked at Etsy (these would probably do fine on there).
Some are quality upcycled and modified craft but some of them sand and slap a bit of paint on it, then sell for loads.
So this as a bit of an arty upcycled novelty, it's great and the price is what I would expect.

Go buy some 30 year old white tyres with pimples on it or some kevlar string with laminate stuck to it if you want to see stupidity with buying (or investments due to stupidity).
The latter of which you can DIY new at home.

P. S I of course wouldn't say no to either if you want to give me any of them ;-)

The Chris King Tampers were about £120… I’ve got one they did with Rapha (I didn’t pay as much as £120 btw). It’s nice, works well, gets used every day, cleans up well. I enjoy it. Could easily get my money back if it begins to bore me.
As others have said, these look well made, are interesting items (to a small group of enthusiasts) and fit a part of the market where people still find money for a bit of indulgence.
Also, reuses existing parts and UK skills.
I do think I recognise that Kingsbury hub!!

Back