WTF are these drop-bar bikes?!?

Forks look pottsy
For the man, seems to be a Steve Potts type II fork. Wheels are not so big. So, only mountain bikes with 26” but with drop bars

- Edit: found a better resolution pic of the ad -

Indeed the dropouts look like they could be the scalloped ones Potts uses.

Dropout.jpg

I was wondering what the head badge/sticker on the other bike is. Because of the lugged crown I was thinking early Moots or Mountain Goat, but neither of the logos seem to match.

Logo.jpg

Never heard of Jill Barr either, but I´m living under a stone. Apparently she makes an appearance in this rather excellent documentary:

screenshot.jpg

So the name may not be just the product of imagination of an art director.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the head badge/sticker on the other bike is. Because of the lugged crown I was thinking early Moots or Mountain Goat, but neither of the logos seem to match.

logo-jpg.830936
logo-jpg.830940

My first thought looking at that head badge is Univega:
Univvega_brand_category_1200x1200.jpg

My first MTB was a '93ish Univega, with this head badge logo in white. And the forks look similar to me to the ones on these old drop bar Univegas (the one below is a Viva Sport)

516300964_ede09612b4_b.jpg

Last edited:
My first thought looking at that is Univega:

Univvega_brand_category_1200x1200.jpg
Were they around in 1985? The ebay auction where I found a better pic claimes is from the 1985 NF catalogue

Here´s the (straightened out) pic from the auction:

NF_1985.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Were they around in 1985? The ebay auction where I found a better pic claimes is from the 1985 NF catalogue

Yes, and in the 70s even. Maybe something like this, modified with 26" wheels to allow for fat tyres?

Back