WTD: Good condition black headset.1 1/8" threadless.

001-26.jpg

002-24.jpg

i have seen articles on broken carbon steerers on racing bikes that have king headsets but its not concrete evidence. i think if they have changed the design its a clear indication of them knowing it needed improving. i dare say most on here who dont come down mountains will not see an issue but i ride only casually and i got marks on my steerer on 100mm forks. dont get me wrong i am kings biggest fan and their bearings are the best you can get for my money.

suburbanreuben":a2fzdr2l said:
adlyhobart":a2fzdr2l said:
and luckily found the article from 2011 and i have seen one yet! mind you i rarely buy new stuff

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/e ... 011-27701/

Aah - Griplock. A pain in the arse if you're not expecting it. It all falls apart and rolls under the fridge. :roll:
An overcomplicated solution to a trivial problem.

Are those topcaps/compression rings reverse compatible?

Hi, did you go for the CK headset ? If not then I have a Hope in black in really nice condition. Has the Hope tope cap etc but the bottom bit of the head doctor, the steerer thing, is still fitted in the Bontrager forks I just posted to you !

Thanks for all the replies.

I've gone for the (apparently steerer destroying!) Chris King, so I'm now sorted.

A bit confused on how a top cap puts marks on a steerer tube and mainly on sus forks, is it the compression sleeve we are on about.

I know CK headsets are a tight fit (interference fit even), but if fitted correctly and a tad of grease applied, all should be well.

Plus, there is little strain on the top half of the headset, the stresses are on the lower crown race, from braking, turning and the earth you are riding on.

A light scoring mark on any steerer wont do any harm, BUT, maybe people are over tightening their headsets (common problem)

Remedy: Use a torque wrench....

:roll:

Back