WTB Wilderness Trail Bikes Phoenix Ti (Large 18") Frame

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well, I've finally decided to set aside my denial, and come to the realization that this Ti Phoenix frame is too large for me. After collecting parts for it, for the better part of a year, I mocked it up two nights ago, to confirm- I'm too strectched out, and that's with the seatpost lower than it should be for proper use of the geometry. One should be well over 6 feet tall to take advantage of this frame. Not many Phoenix were made, even fewer in this large size, so if you're a tall guy, now's your chance, haha.

I ideally would like to trade it for a medium Ti Phoenix (15") or a medium Fat City Ti (medium, possibly M/L depending on the year). But I don't see that happening, so why not have the funds ready for when one does pop up, by selling this now.

Full Description with measurements (copy and pasted from an email I sent a prospective buyer:

Now, before we have a deal, let me answer all your questions, and provide full disclosure on every detail of the frame. I've also taken 34 photos from every angle, including a few Macro shots. I'm a stickler for details, and will actually make my items seem worse than they are, since I'd rather have a buyer, pleasantly surprised than suddenly disappointed.

Q1. The diameter between the rear dropouts (axle length) is advertised as 140mm, but some of the frames had variances. This frame is actually only 137mm, and fit a standard 135mm hub just fine, without any stretching/bending of the stays.

Q2. There are some marks throughout the frame: a couple cable rub marks on the head tube, a couple cable rub marks on some of the main tubes- very light, a couple scratches (no gouges) on a few of the main tubes; there's one sliver gouge on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell; absolutely no cracks. There is only one ding (not a dent or bend), it's on the bottom of the top tube close to the head tube. It resembles a dimple, and is round, not going from one side of the tube to the other, but directly in the middle of the underneath of the top tube. It was there when I bought the frame, and I was assured that it does not affect the frame structurally. It can't be seen unless looking from the bottom. I had checked out by a local frame builder, and it's not a problem. The original owner told me it as done by a wayward tool when the frame was upside down on the bike stand, getting worked on.
One last thing, there is minimal chain rub on the driveside chain stay, it can barely be seen in the up close photos. Those are all the negatives with the frame. Please examine the pics, as I took them from multiple angles, to give the impression of having it in your hand, and flipping it around.

Q3. All threads/drop outs/holes/tubes are in great condition, no oddities.

Q4. The rear brake mounts are for V-brakes or Cantis; this frame does not have the roller cam mounts.

Q5. The seat post size is 31.8mm, and I will be including a Thomson Elite black alloy seat post, excellent condition, and a secondary seat post for having the frame in the stand, or using it in your build, a silver, somewhat heavy, off-brand.

Q6. The head tube accepts a 1 1/8" diameter steerer, and is 5.25" long.

Q7. The chainstays on this frame are tapered, from my understanding this was only done on the 1997/98 models right before the end of production. Other measurements: Top Tube (actual, not effective): 22" which is very misleading, (the effective is in the 24" range, due to the extreme slope of the top tube this is the reason I'm giving it up), C of crank to top of seat tube: 18", C of crank to C of top tube close to the seat tube: 17"; weight of frame on Park Tools scale with WTB chain slap guard on the driveside stay, all water bottle bolts and rear brake mounts is 3lbs 13oz. (Pretty funky geometry, eh? This is part of the reason they have such a cult following; I wish I could've taken it for a ride or two; maybe one day when I land a medium)
The front derailleur clamp is 34.9, and I will be including a sweet xtr m900, perfect for this frame; I also will be including the cable guide, that bolts underneath the bb shell, and the seat post collar. Those are the only "special" parts needed; everything else is fairly standard, and will be easy to source, depending on what type of build you are looking to make.

I've tried to be as thorough as possible; please feel free to ask anymore questions you might have.

Serial Number: 97006
Head tube height: 5.25"
Top Tube length (non-effective): 22"
Effective Top Tube: 24" ish
Center of crank to top of seat tube: 18"
Center of crank to center of top tube, close to the seat tube: 17"
Weight with water bottle cage bolts and wtb chain stay guard in place: 3 LBS 13 oz

The price:
$2000 USD which includes Priority Mail international shipping or UPS shipping within the United States. Insurance will be extra, if desired to cover the whole amount. If concerned regarding customs, pm me, and we can discuss that further. I'll work with you.

Here are a couple pics I had uploaded a while back, but I'll take new ones, including up close macro shots and different angles, tonight:
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

More photos (34) can be found lower on the page.

I'm serious this time, so I'll post it on CL and Ebay next...though I would hate to give ebay their 10 percent of this sale :?

...still wishing for a trade; anyone too large for their Ti Fat or Phoenix. I'll even consider a steel medium Phoenix, if cash is included.

Thanks for looking :)

i´d rip it out of your hands if i where that tall.
unfartunatly i´m a little bugger,....

much luck though
cheers kay

wtb_rider":2efguck0 said:
i´d rip it out of your hands if i where that tall.
unfartunatly i´m a little bugger,....

much luck though
cheers kay

Thanks, Kay :cool:

If only I had a few more inches :?

AtomicAtom":1r8qvut0 said:
Uh oh, there it is! I'll trade you my left arm for it. Deal?

I'm good in the arm department. Now if you're willing to part with your left leg, we should talk- you have pm :cool:

GoldenEraMTB":3eippkbb said:
AtomicAtom":3eippkbb said:

I'm good in the arm department. Now if you're willing to part with your left leg, we should talk- you have pm :cool:

Well if I give you my left leg then you will get all my left hand crank arms too. I'll consider below the knee though!

AtomicAtom":3hbohw3l said:
GoldenEraMTB":3hbohw3l said:
AtomicAtom":3hbohw3l said:

Well if I give you my left leg then you will get all my left hand crank arms too. I'll consider below the knee though!

below the knee? No Knee; no deal, and I have to be firm on that one.

on another note:
I cleaned up the frame, pics and measurements coming tonight or tomorrow morning.

34 images; please be patient while loading, and if you are a true retro grouch, with 56K, go out for a ride, they should be up when you return :)

Serial Number:
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Ding/Dimple:

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Thanks for the interest, everyone, along with the help in getting the word out. It's appreciated.

Have two people in line; the frame should be sold soon. I'm honoring pm order, as long as the offer is of interest or my asking price. I've answered all pm's though, in case the first two should pass.

Back