Would site owners ever consider reform the categories?

I don't think we need new cut off points or anything because last time I mentioned it I felt a negative aura surround me and nobody needs that hostility

Personally I have made it my mission to almost exclusively use the 98 section, I feel like I'm dusting the cobwebs off the retired town whore

Retro is such a subjective word.. you ask my 13 yr old to name something retro and he'd probably say Nintendo DS.. you ask @grey-beard and he'd say black and white television.. you ask @The History Man and he'd say mutoscope.. šŸ˜
I can't remember when the world was black and white, thanks. For me, bike wise, retro is more of a style than a definitive date range, I know that makes me sound like a hipster, but, you know what I mean.

I can't remember when the world was black and white, thanks. For me, bike wise, retro is more of a style than a definitive date range, I know that makes me sound like a hipster, but, you know what I mean.

The point i'm trying to make is the recent past is not the same point in time for all generations so these folks who want to change the catagories are wanting to change them to suit only their own perspectives..

Last edited:
For me, the interest in retro bikes, is mostly just aesthetics, I love the old frames, the colour schemes. There's also some other positives to the retro bikes, some of the componentry and standards have stood the test of time. I'm not interested in retro stuff that isn't well functioning. Luckily a lot of the older stuff still is, square taper still beat any other drivetrain on pure longevity, v brakes are still the best option if hydraulic isn't an option, 26 isn't quite dead. So half aesthetic half the fact that it's bombproof at a low cost. Unless you're buying the boutique crap.

I agree that there are many post 2000s bikes that are very much Retro, even bikes made after 10 that are pretty damn retro in spirit

The actual definition of retro is 1988-1998 Iā€™m not sure if it moved but it hasnā€™t in the past few years so categories are spot on. I normally call any bike past 1988 vintage and after that retro. If itā€™s after 1998 then itā€™s just a bikešŸ™‚

The actual definition of retro is 1988-1998 Iā€™m not sure if it moved but it hasnā€™t in the past few years so categories are spot on. I normally call any bike past 1988 vintage and after that retro. If itā€™s after 1998 then itā€™s just a bikešŸ™‚
Is that a dictionary definition?

Back