Worn IG Chain - replacement options

Daz.

Dirt Disciple
I've been doing some research into replacing a worn IG chain on my Trek 930.

It has
HG70-I Cassette
IG70 Chain
M569 Chain set

I've seen the IG chain's on eBay but also read about their questionable origin. So ruled them out.

I've also read Sheldon Brown's information on SRAM chains being compatible, does anyone have any experience of using these with IG Cassettes and IG Chainrings?

I thought about changing the cassette and chain to HG but I want to keep my M569 Chain set and had seen Shimano's notes on HG chains possibly dropping off the large Chain ring on to the middle ring when on the larger cassette rings when under load.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks

Hi there

You can use any brand chain you like as long as its made for the amount of cogs you have on the rear. I use these cheap kmc's theyre very good. New chains can slip on old cogs especially if the old chain has been used worn on them for a long time. It will make them shark fin and if you press on the pedal so its under tension and look at the cogs you can usualy see the chain lifting out the cog.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMC-Z8-3-5-6 ... Sw~AVYnbib

or sram

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-PC-830- ... SwIulfgFsd

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

As above. I'm sure every brand will have reasons to spare extolling the virtues of their own brand compatibility but in practice, any chain of the correct gear numbers will work fine, in fact many will tell you that 9sp chains work just as well on 7 or 8 speed set ups.

Wear to the cogs or chain rings will cause a new chain to slip.

A narrow chain 'may' get caught between the front rings if the spacing is particularly large, but unlikely.

Re:

If you have to have an IG chain then I've got a couple of NOS ones doing nothing, I bougt them from CRC donkeys years ago. To be honest though, save your money and use something else. They're just chains.

Re:

Thanks for the pointers guys, and the offer Tad.

I'll grab one of the SRAM ones. I'll get a new cassette too, even though it doesn't look too worn, with pressure on the peddles you can see the chain start to lift out of the teeth. The chain rings are nearly new so they're fine.

Tad I'll give you a shout if I have any issues as want to go back to an IG if that's OK.

Cheers!

I'd just thought I'd feedback the outcome.

I got a new SRAM PG850 Cassette and PC850 Chain, fitted my NOS Deore LX M569 Chainset and it rides perfectly.

Thanks for your input

Back