Work bikes

My replacement winter commuter, reporting for duty:

Finished%2B%25284%2529.JPG

Wow! Is this the web's longest-running forum thread?
Rescued this from the hands of a bloke about to lob it into the 'scrap metal' skip at the local tip. Thought it would do for spares, but turned out to be in better nick' than my previous commuter :eek:.
It's the 'millennium edition' apparently...

It's 'evolved' into this, thanks to wear & tear and hand-me-downs from my Inbred.

It's ideal for the commute....

....through the pine forests of...

...Milton Keynes! :shock:
I keep thinking of buying something 'better', but it's very comfortable, mega cheap and astonishingly reliable. It weighs 'a bit' but that just enhances the 'training' ;).
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1161 (2).jpg
    IMG_1161 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2301.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,286
The perfect commuter. Cost 'eff all and does the job perfectly well. Who needs a polished GT Zaskar single speed conversion with chicken stix and x-lite when you can have one like this that you can actually throw at a puddle and not cry for your mum :)

Trebz":3hyaot19 said:
The perfect commuter. Cost 'eff all and does the job perfectly well. Who needs a polished GT Zaskar single speed conversion with chicken stix and x-lite when you can have one like this that you can actually throw at a puddle and not cry for your mum :)

If that's the Criteria, here we have the Perfect Commuter - not what I expected to say about this bike, but I have thrown it at a few things and thrown stuff at it too - Didn't cry. Its a sort of mid school Kona, but has some awesome AT3 bars on it, which makes it retro in my book. And double decker front mudguards

20151119_140251_zpscletaib5.jpg

Re:

Blimey! :shock:
I never thought I'd be "outmudguarded". That is truly a bold and innovative approach. I love the attention to detail, as well. Nothing says "unpretentious" better than cable ties and mismatched sticky tape.
Wonder how long it will take to become mainstream...?

Re: Re:

muddypete":22rck8mf said:
Blimey! :shock:
I never thought I'd be "outmudguarded". That is truly a bold and innovative approach. I love the attention to detail, as well. Nothing says "unpretentious" better than cable ties and mismatched sticky tape.
Wonder how long it will take to become mainstream...?

The worst of it is that neither of them function properly as a mudguard, I am still caked in kak every day

That Gorilla tape though, honestly, don't spend any money on fancy fitting kits for your 'guards, one month in and holding fast. Watch this space for the long term test results...

The worst of it is that neither of them function properly as a mudguard, I am still caked in kak every day
I found a close-fitting front mudguard would clog with mud and snap off, or snap off after a hard landing/crash. I've used my current guards for a few years and they're a pretty good compromise between durability & coverage.
Top = widest one I could find (Halfords Polysport XL Mudflap).
Lower = upside-down Crud Catcher (the bulbous bit and the rear wheel mudguard keep most of the grit & farmyard filth off the BB, chainrings, front derailleur, pump & water bottles).
Plus the obligatory splatter guard on the fork brace (crafted from a handy beverage container and very effective).
Frame bag for energy gels for the monthly mega-commute (train to another office & 60 mile ride home :D ).
I still get dirty from the knees down, but I can live with that.

(I can't believe I'm giving mudguard advice on the internet. Is this how the space-age was supposed to turn out? :facepalm: ).

Gorilla tape v. Duck tape - vote now! Or is that another thread?

Attachments

• IMG_2472 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2472 - Copy.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,087
Back