Winter Hack Vs replacing worn components?

Re:

Could you ride the SC all the time, and stock pile the parts as and when they come up on here or special deals on ebay/CRC? Might save a few quid that way, rather than buying when you actually NEED the bits...

Hope that makes sense, I've had a couple of strong ciders, I know what I mean.... :facepalm:

Re: Re:

stewlewis":3qmgk4lh said:
Chuck a cheap group on before winter. Strip polish service and put the top stuff back on for the good weather. Its a good excuse to tinker.

Thats not a a bad idea!

LikeClockwork":1o9077bp said:
Could you ride the SC all the time, and stock pile the parts as and when they come up on here or special deals on ebay/CRC? Might save a few quid that way, rather than buying when you actually NEED the bits...

Hope that makes sense, I've had a couple of strong ciders, I know what I mean.... :facepalm:

That too could be a good idea!

Re:

You know my opinion on this!
You have the perfect frame for it, so just get on and get it built.
Alternatively, you could buy my Canyon and use that ;)

makster":1fdf67c2 said:

Yeah yeah... to buy your Canyon I'd need shorter legs for sure!

wookiee":3qtk2vpg said:
makster":3qtk2vpg said:

That's a fair comment!
Keep that Lobster mate, you'll love it

makster":254mxefc said:
wookiee":254mxefc said:
makster":254mxefc said:

That's a fair comment!
Keep that Lobster mate, you'll love it

Its a maybe for sure but thinking it would turn out weightier that I wanted...and thinking maybe a cheaper 29er...

...undecided.

I'd agree with that - simple Deore is brilliant.

Alternatively, ride a rigid singlespeed in the winter. Last year's total spares spend was only brake blocks and a new chain running a Middleburn Uno and White Industries freewheel. It's not as if there are huge hills or rough routes around Southampton anyway. I happily ride the New Forest and Winchester area on a rigid singlespeed.

Shimano chainrings are awful - terribly soft and pathetically short-lived. Similarly their chains seem to be quiet at the expense of durability. TA or Middleburn rings and SRAM or KMC chains every time for me.

hamster":3t9n7ah5 said:
I'd agree with that - simple Deore is brilliant.

Alternatively, ride a rigid singlespeed in the winter. Last year's total spares spend was only brake blocks and a new chain running a Middleburn Uno and White Industries freewheel. It's not as if there are huge hills or rough routes around Southampton anyway. I happily ride the New Forest and Winchester area on a rigid singlespeed.

Shimano chainrings are awful - terribly soft and pathetically short-lived. Similarly their chains seem to be quiet at the expense of durability. TA or Middleburn rings and SRAM or KMC chains every time for me.

...I ride at Lordswood near Chilworth, Southampton, and those trails are very muddy, bumpy root sections, and plenty of hills too! So don't think I am fit enough for a single speed! And I like a bit of bounce at the front too!

Doug

Slx group and a cheap pair of forks/wheels on the lobster.
buy from Germany and it's cheap enough.
I got fed up of buying top end kit just to destroy it through the winter.
the hack bikes generally cost me two years worth of race bike winter consumables.

And they are built for the winter too. mud tyres, guards, steel rings, risers

Back