Windows 7 SP1

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so
installed windows 7 sp1, and then it wanted to chkdsk and stuff, which it did for a few hours
then restarted, and began installing more updates
then i get 'fatal error C0000034 installing update 282 of 12387' (or whatever the of xxxxx was)
managed to fix it through system restore
luckily my laptop had created a restore point about a month ago (the only one, i reckon it was when sp1 was downloaded)
seems to be a common problem :?
any one else have any comments or ideas or whatever?

actually, i was going to write 'no i dont want linux' but then that would have been followed with a flurry of 'get a mac' :LOL:
so i refrained :LOL:
i do actually have splashtop so err ner? :p :LOL: :cool:

I think I had some similar errors on installing SP1 on one machine.

Will have a look in the logs when I am on that machine, to see if they illuminate the issue.

If I recall correctly, I ran it again having logged in as admin and it went through fine.

There do seem to be issues with it, nothing unusual for Windows of course.

Or any other O/S from any source, the difference being one of the other main O/S suppliers has their customer base locked in and choose to linger over their releases and updates rather longer, which is best practice as their customers tend to be technically retarded.

;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

well i have no idea what im looking at with logs (but im quite tech savvy)
so couldnt tell you what went wrong, but google search seems to bring up problems with it
went in fine - then boom! :roll:

for now at least, its not going back in until its sorted
im not even sure what was in it! :LOL:

I had this with my work PC and ended up at a highly useful forum post via Google which gave step by step instructions on removing a section of one of the XML files which are used by the update. Once this was done it then continued and has been useable since although I'm still not certain whether SP1 is correctly applied. I won't be installing it on any more PC's just yet.

oh yeah i stumbled upon that, didnt do it though as this was after i had restored to a point
but if you do install it at some point let us know how it goes :cool:

I used that technique to rescue my own system but I haven't updated the other Windows 7 machines just yet. My machine reports it is running SP1 but I'm not sure it's a complete installation.

One other machine has SP1 installed and didn't need my attention so I guess it's not a dead cert that this error will happen but I'm still reluctant to re-approve the service pack for the remaining machines.

yeah id leave it be for now
potential for creating more work than necessary! :shock:
wait until its stable

Back