Why is my modern bike so much faster than my Peugeot?

My_Teenage_Self":2wkavpml said:
Sorry, I missed the start of this thread.

It's evolution isn't it.

Better yeasts, improved baking ovens, ingredients and fillings that have been honed over time and masses of research into what people want, more appealing packaing. Modern sandwiches may often be made to a price point, but within that price point they will be far better than equivalent sandwiches from the 90s.

every little part is incrementally better than previous generations.

Oh, and Peugeot never made sandwiches, as far as I'm aware?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

legrandefromage":1ktpberv said:
because you are trying to compare a very very basic bicycle against a not basic bicycle

Or in car terms, a 1986 Renault 5 TC with a 2020 Polo TSI

or a Tesco carrier bag against a Marks & Spencer bag for life

a Harvest Blue garage sandwich against a Tesco *Finest Duck & Hosin source wrap

An Asda 'Black Friday' sound bar against a Denon AVR x2700H home cinema receiver

my mates' Boots Audio cassette player against my Chinese lossless audio player

It has nothing to to with tapers or bearings, you are just trying to compare two totally different objects - sure they look similar but they are not.
I’m still not sure. Do you have any more comparisons?

This is my kind of thread... I would say that the modern bike is just better engineered, so more efficient in every way...? But what do I know...
Sandwiches. I know sandwiches.
My favourite sandwiches are the ones I make when I use everything in my fridge.
When caught short, top of the list is: Sainsbury's Ham Hock & Mature Cheddar, which is a wondrous bit o' kit. Also, for some time, they mistakenly made it part of the £3 meal deal. Which was amazing as the sarnie itself is £3.
When I used to have the convenience of a Thomas' bakery, I remember a particularly tasty number... Ham and Mango, on some beautiful sourdough (I think) bread.
Lovely. Simply lovely.

As much as I like talking about sandwiches,( btw either egg quite chunky cut with mayo OR cheese onion and pickle on sourdough bread) , I had similar experience recently, I've owned a gt outpost for 22 ish years ,it needed work and after having halfords vouchers in cupboard i decided to purchase a new Carrera hellcat , its night and day ahead of gt , ok i need to change gearing ratios cos i dont like them ( my fault I shud have done my homework) , it's got chunkier tyres on bigger wheels but just rolls better , gt has roadies so shud be easier, everything feels tighter stiffer more responsive on Carrera etc etc , i will weigh them both when i get a mo
Carrera spec wise isn't Brill but modern build materials even in Vietnam is going to be so much better
And tbh it just looks the bo***x , I love it bar gearing , whether it will last as long as Taiwan gt remains s to be seen if I'm still riding In 22 years time
My 05 claud cbr is as year suggests is somewhere in between feel wise ,rapidfire shimano shifters were an epiphoney moment 4 years ago

Re:

I am also interested why some bikes are faster...

Tyre weight - the lighter the tyres, the faster you accelerate?
Wheelbase - shorter wheelbase is a lot more manoeuvrable, so it feels "faster" (it's not actually faster)?
Sitting position - the closer you are to a TT position, the more power you put into the pedals?

...How about tortilla wraps?

It does narrow as you climb the ladder in costs, My old Anteaus which was fairly expensive in 1992/3 is pretty quick but it's not as fast as my Giant Anthem 2 (bourne out by Strava times on both bikes over a 15 mile route). It's good to ride the old thing a few times a year but my expectations are lower when I ride it and when I go I go for fun and not to beat strava time on my routes (although I did get close to a couple of KOM's in isolation).

Never heard of Blue Harvest but I do remember that it was a good episode of Family Guy. I do like a Tesco Finest Pastrami on Rye sandwich though.

Back