Why ignore a ROAD CLOSED sign?

Re:

I'm glad I read this as I would almost certainly have been one of said idiots sometime tomorrow evening :mrgreen:

Have you seen the hole they've dug :shock: . I went running that way last week and when I saw the sign saying "road closed for 8 months" I was like "8 feckin months, that's taking the p*ss" Then I saw the meteor crater sized hole and was like "Yeah okay, 8 months it is".

Re:

I get this in the winter when the quarter inch if snow closes all the hill roads. They usually put a sign and cones up at the Macclesfield end of the Cat and Fiddle road, which everyone ignores, gets as far as they can then get stuck in the one bit of drift or a patch of ice. I'm as guilty as anyone, and often the sign is there but the road is fine and I get through ok. But sometimes I do have to admit defeat half way and then around, normally because of the stuck hgvs, but occasionally because I chicken out. It's a risk but experience tells me that 8 or 9 times in 10 the road closed sign doesn't matter.

However, a new sign in an unusual place where I had been notified of roadworks is a different matter.

Re: Re:

JamesM":2zymexvj said:
Have you seen the hole they've dug :shock:
Yes I've seen it, impressive isn't it.

I can understand the odd local getting totally confused by all the diversion signs, after all the alternative route is pretty convoluted, but the volume of cars last night was just silly.

It's all quiet this morning, but I must have a coffee in hand at around 8.30am, as that's when the mum run usually starts.

Re:

It can take weeks for the "Road closed due to flood" signs to be removed around our way so it's unsurprising they are routinely ignored.

My guess is that other road closed signs are ignored because of a number of factors including driver on autopilot, hope that it is an old redundant sign and sense of entitlement.

Got to admit as a cyclist I usually figure there must be a way through for pedestrians, and therefore also for walking cyclists. Pedestrians are perhaps the worse for entitlement as if a canal path is blocked etc then you can guarantee that the temporary fencing has been pulled down/to one side within a few days of installation.

Near where I live they are in the process of building a cycle path along an old railway route. it seems to have stalled however at either end of a long railway tunnel. Eventually, a 10 foot high extremely robust steel fence had to be installed at both ends, as pedestrians were simply pushing the previous one to one side or climbing over (something I admit I did with my bike so I could check it out). Note the tunnel is completely pitch black for much of it so probably a hazard for the unequipped.

Re: Re:

NeilM":jg8k3jvl said:
JamesM":jg8k3jvl said:
Have you seen the hole they've dug :shock:
Yes I've seen it, impressive isn't it.

I can understand the odd local getting totally confused by all the diversion signs, after all the alternative route is pretty convoluted, but the volume of cars last night was just silly.

It's all quiet this morning, but I must have a coffee in hand at around 8.30am, as that's when the mum run usually starts.

That's good for a laugh when the roads are normal :LOL:
Can you YouTube it for us all ?

Mike

Re:

7.43am I saw my first turn around.

They are now going up... and then down again in ones and two's.

Not much to see really Mike, just a car whizzing up the road at something over the speed limit.... and then whizzing back down again a few minutes later.

It's like they can't believe that they can't get through, so they drive past the barrier, then see that the road is closed, so dive down a side road to the right (which has a cul de sac sign) and eventually admit defeat.

Silly thing is, if they bothered to follow the signs, then they could drive another sixty yards past the end of my road, and there is a turning on the left that will take them in the right direction.

Just heard an angry descent, obviously late for work and getting later.

Sense of entitlement, that's the kiddie.

Back