Why Catalogue Spec?

The History Man":6pwsqmw0 said:
tufty":6pwsqmw0 said:
shogun":6pwsqmw0 said:
Frankly if you're not into period correctness, within reason, I don't really see why you'd even bother with old bikes.
No? Personally, I like the way old bikes ride, the geometry suits me, and I like the feel of steel. However, brakes that don't brake, suspension that's about as useful as a pogo stick, and so on, do not suit me. My current ride is a Sunn, with frame modified for disk brakes, the most modern and light 80mm forks I could get my sticky little mitts on, modern hoops and tubeless tyres, bars with a slight lift, etc. As the lot cost me less that a tenth of an equivalent (at least in terms of weight and part quality) modern geometry bike, it wins on my scrooge-o-meter as well. And on top of all that, it's absolutely 100% mine. Nobody else has a bike that's the same.

Mainly, though, I just like riding it more than any other bike I've ridden.

And will do until I find another improvement to make :)

Amen to that.

I like colour (Color) too. Lots of it. I want to look down and smile.

Each to their own. Share the love.

It is but that doesn't answer the question

OP":6pwsqmw0 said:
More a curiosity question really, why does it seem that unless you rebuild your old frame / bike to catalogue or pro rider spec, you end up with a vast majority not appreciating your hard work and even questioning your reasoning / sanity?

Personally I build to please and suit me, never going to do a catalogue build as I have always wanted to be more original, but i do note that some peoples builds arent liked or even commented on sometimes and they generally seem to be the ones who have dared to vear away from "the norm"

Although, if you want your general build to be reviewed, commented, and looked at.
Build a story of the build, what you did, why. etc

Make that modern build on old bike a story of love, reasoning and detail.

Or just build stick it up with a list of what's on and see if one or too say nice, then use it as a reference when it get half inched by some scallywag or you need to renew your insurance.

Re:

To answer the original question - fashion comes and goes but style endures. Most personal builds follow some sort of fashion and <ahem> often don't actually look that good to anyone but the builder.

Catalogue builds, however - particularly the high end ones - have a classic style that always looks timeless. Compare a Yeti dripping in random anodised custom parts (fashion) vs. a Merlin Ti with black Ritchey Logic forks, a full XC Pro groupset, black finishing kit and skinwalls (style). I know which I'd rather have..

Re: Catalogue

I'd say there are a few overriding reasons why catalogue/original spec builds get most praise:

~ they're hard to do - takes patience time and cash.
~ when done, they look reassuringly right - because that's what we remember fondly from drooling over the catalogues and mags as penniless youths
~ but most of all, you can easily tell whether they've succeeded - yep it's original right down to the grips and innertubes, well played.

But as gradeA's Merlin example ^^ illustrates, even when spot on, they can be a bit formulaic: needs time and cash, not imagination - especially these days when all the good ones have been done.

I can't get that excited by straight-spec builds anymore. I like a few rules and then see what individual differences can be dialled in.

The builds people do with Rivendell bikes are a good example; simple 'rules': lugged frames, 1" quills, rim brakes, rigid. But lots of modern production of old designs - Tektro 720s (so good), Pauls stuff, Nitto, Velocity, etc. And then make it your own.

The results are usually unique but have a true style, and avoid those glaaring clashing issues that befall alot of mixed-up builds.

Attachments

• Riv Style.jpg
    Riv Style.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 412
My own personal opinion is, I get a lot more excited seeing a well done period restore of a high end model with hard to find parts, than a midrange frame done up in non era rider components. Doesn't take away from the lower end builders joy or effort in in the actual assembly of the bike. There is an added appreciation knowing someone put effort into researching a model, finding the difficult to find parts and then getting it all together. I personally have spent several years looking for something as simple as the right handlebars for the right price. I see this on someones build and I appreciate their efforts. There is a difference between putting an old bike together as a rider, and spending years researching and gathering to restore. Not trying to sound like a high end snob, just giving honest feedback to OP's question.

Back