Why are my mono mini,s so crap?

Oh looks like im not the only one who is thinking they,re a pile of pish :LOL: Im running 160mm back and front, rear has a braided hose.

i,ll try that backwards bleeding trick. also cos they,re IS mounts its a pain it the poo hole :cool:

bigdavevw":1ai5md80 said:
I clean the pads with petrol
I think that this could be part of the problem. In my experience any kind of solvent or contaminent will knacker your pads.

I run the original M4's with sintered pads on my Orange and they are faultless. 180mm front and 160mm rear and I can lock them with one finger. My mate runs the Mono Mini's and hasn't had any problems either.
A proper high heat generating bedding in session as described by previous posters is essential though with new pads.

bigdavevw":1t5k9tnl said:
I clean the pads with petrol......

They're shagged then. :roll:

When cleaning the pads you should only use isopropanol alcohol or specific disc brake cleaner for bikes. Don't use motorcycle brake cleaner as it leaves a surface coating.

My mate has a set of Mono minis on his bike and you can lock up the wheels with one finger.

The only problem with these brakes is that they're very fussy on how they're set up. If you don't have the disc centred in the calliper then they won't work anywhere near as well as they should.

Hope had quality control issues around that time, there were some good sets made and some bad sets (more bad sets)

But i'd start by throwing away the pads, you've rogered them!

Try and find some Vesrah sintered pads, they seem to really have their compound sorted

best option though: put them in a glass case to look at and buy some shimanos

Degrease the rotor with a dedicated bike disc cleaner and fit brand new pads. Give it a couple of good hard stops before any prelonged braking. Should solve it. The petrol will knacker your pads

I think the crux of the problem is the fluid. I don't think goosed pads will give a spongey feel at the lever but air or moisture in the fluid will

Contaminated pads...could just be a bad batch or something from the factory.

Had some Shimanos do the same from new with sintered pads....did everything to make them work with no success so I whacked new resin pads in there and it solved it straight away

Mine are fine, 183mm rotor up front and 160mm rear both with braided hoses. They have never been the best performing stoppers (M4s are better) but if set up right they are more than capable for most xc riding.

Trev

drystonepaul":1q2wo5qq said:
bigdavevw":1q2wo5qq said:
I clean the pads with petrol
I think that this could be part of the problem. In my experience any kind of solvent or contaminent will knacker your pads.

I run the original M4's with sintered pads on my Orange and they are faultless. 180mm front and 160mm rear and I can lock them with one finger. My mate runs the Mono Mini's and hasn't had any problems either.
A proper high heat generating bedding in session as described by previous posters is essential though with new pads.

+1

Back