Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

Now that I have had the 29er for a couple of weeks and had a good few rides on different trails it's time for some initial feedback.

You get nothing in this world for free. The greater inertia of the larger wheel is noticeable quite often. When pulling off from a standing start and cornering it is a negative. It simply does not change direction as quickly as a comparable 26er and it is slower to pull away. However, when hitting obstacles at slowish speeds when a 26er might stall, the extra inertia helps carry you through. It could also be down to the bigger roll and I think these both combine to give the smooth ride that it gives. It really does smooth out some trails that are real filling rattlers on my modern hardtail. It also covers this ground a lot faster, whether that is inertia, roll or comfort or a combination of the three. The rest of the time I have not found it to be noticeable.
There are some trail obstacles that even a 29er can't overcome. It is not a wonder bike and lack of speed, skill or both will still stop you. And while it's smooth riding, a rooty descent with rigid forks is still punishing.
What Kaiser said about being more 'in' the bike is true. I have noticed especially when out of the saddle that I don't dominate the bike so much, which is a good thing. I think I feel more like a kid on this bike.:mrgreen:

Since I got the monkey I have only ridden a 26er once, and while I think other factors were involved, I didn't enjoy the ride. The next night the monkey was back out.
It's far too soon for me to be making proclamations about the future of mountain biking, but I am really enjoying my 29er experience so far and I'm glad I have one in my stable. :D

I'm getting one!
The reason that I,( and expect many of us) are on here, is the fact that modern bikes don't 'push my buttons'.......that changed recently, with a visit to sherwood pines.
I spotted a salsa el mariachi outside the shop and it looked like bikes used to.....skinny tubes, no frills, big tyres. A bit like 'mint sauce' cartoons.

In short, it made me fall in love with a modern bike.......

I've now got a transition trans am two 9 on hold for me, until I raise the funds required!

brocklanders023":tlw5x33m said:
Didn't like my mate's 29er tbh. Was a bit small for me and ss but the wheels felt all wrong and I was sure I was going to bash my feet on them. Not for me.

Another mate has just got one more my size and after having a go I can almost see the point now. Might even put off replacing the 5 until Orange release their 140mm fs 29er so I can have a demo on that.....

I feel unclean. :oops:

brocklanders023":1qn7kaq9 said:
brocklanders023":1qn7kaq9 said:
Didn't like my mate's 29er tbh. Was a bit small for me and ss but the wheels felt all wrong and I was sure I was going to bash my feet on them. Not for me.

Another mate has just got one more my size and after having a go I can almost see the point now. Might even put off replacing the 5 until Orange release their 140mm fs 29er so I can have a demo on that.....

I feel unclean. :oops:

Is that the Gyro? Or have they something bigger coming out?

No mate, the Gyro is 120/110mm. They are testing a 140mm 29er atm. There's some pictures floating around the web and it looks very nice :cool:

Should be a monster, not much kicking about with that amount of travel. You got any pics?

Back